JsnPpp

SOLVED: Part no. rectangular rubber sheet, engine bay

11 posts / 361 viewsLast Reply

Horrible description. But making it really hard to find a part number. I'm looking for the name/number of the two rubber rectangular sheets that are glued to the engine bay on both sides of the heater core in the engine compartment. Looks like sound/heat insulation but not clear. Its the two pieces on the engine side of the channel where the heater core and windshield wiper motor sits.

Hows that for clear? Hopefully someone has an idea, I've been searching for feels like an hour.., anything helps.

1973, but pretty sure on most/all years of cars, maybe not the really early ones.

Cheers,

Jason

Found it or at least a pic of it. On RealOEM.com under vehicle trim>insulation. Looks to be NA.

(edited)

The ones on my car had come loose and curled up, attempts to uncurl/reattach failed. Had some of this on hand for under my carpet kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Waterproof-Insulation-Self-Adhesive-Deadening/dp/B07CZ2DHV3/ref=sr_1_4?crid=367VH9KRHKAAB&keywords=noico+green&qid=1562123399&s=gateway&sprefix=noise%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-4

traced out the pattern from the originals, peeled and stuck on. so far so good.

Edited by tech71

Man, I looked under vehicle trim too.  

@Tech71 - thanks! I'll take a look..

(edited)

What’s that saying: “A picture is worth a thousand words”?

Are you referring to the sound deadening within the air plenum for the heater, as seen in the lower right of the photo below?

If so, I purchased sheet neoprene in a thickness closest to the original sound deadening (1/8? 3/16”?) and used the originals as a pattern. One side was self-adhesive, although they also sell it without adhesive. The appearance is very close to the original.

Regards,

Steve

6A00129E-DC6A-4D87-BA94-5207B1898962.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

(edited)

Yes and the stuff that’s on the wall of the plenum next to the heater hides a nasty surprise sometimes as well.

when I chipped mine off I found a rust hole 15mm x 20mm from where moisture had got up behind the bitumen stuff, obviously from blocked elephant trunks, I thought I’d need to weld a patch, but my friends 02 has holes in the same place, cut nicely, maybe some dodgy Aussie aircon? I asked a body shop and they said, sure we can weld it, or you can fill it, and POR it,  as it’s not structural and will be covered, I have new sticky one side butal to go there anyway.The roofing stuff is very good and is easily cut.

Nice engine bay Steve !!

Edited by SydneyTii
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Conserv said:

What’s that saying: “A picture is worth a thousand words”?

Are you referring to the sound deadening within the air plenum for the heater, as seen in the lower right of the photo below?

If so, I purchased sheet neoprene in a thickness closest to the original sound deadening (1/8? 3/16”?) and used the originals as a pattern. One side was self-adhesive, although they also sell it without adhesive. The appearance is very close to the original.

Regards,

Steve

6A00129E-DC6A-4D87-BA94-5207B1898962.jpeg

Ha! My first thought was to go take a photo of it on my car then circle the pieces - would have been the best answer. But then decided to try to describe it. I'm glad folks were able to figure out what was in my head... Appreciate the advice on the sheet neoprene, looks like the way to go!

And thank you for the part numbers Les.

Solved!

• Like 1

Mines rock hard but I assume that’s because of age and being painted at one stage.

Or would it have been painted at the factory (as opposed to being delivered in natural state of black)?

Neoprene sounds an interesting alternative. Very flexible so easy to get in the narrow spaces. Did your old stuff come off without fragmenting to much, in order to use as a pattern?

Cheers

Richard

(edited)
12 hours ago, zambo said:

Mines rock hard but I assume that’s because of age and being painted at one stage.

Or would it have been painted at the factory (as opposed to being delivered in natural state of black)?

Neoprene sounds an interesting alternative. Very flexible so easy to get in the narrow spaces. Did your old stuff come off without fragmenting to much, in order to use as a pattern?

Cheers

Richard

Richard,

The sound deadening on the front wall of the plenum, on which we’ve been focusing thus far, was natural black from the factory. It was applied after the car was painted, but has frequently been over-painted by now due to no or inadequate masking during re-paints and repairs. On my ‘76, the old pieces came off mostly in one piece: some of the glue, particularly closer to the heater, was still well adhered. The original material is flexible, much like neoprene.

The sound deadening on the rear wall of the plenum (backing up to the passenger compartment), on the other hand, was also black but was applied before the car was painted. Little effort was made to paint it well, so it was sloppily painted, with the texture of the sound deadening showing clearly through the paint. It’s both a thicker material than the front wall sound deadening and more crumbly. Simeon made a brief mention of this sound deadening. It’s similar to the bituminous sound deadening applied to an ‘02’s floors (on the inside).

My ‘76’s painter, despite — or maybe because of — my many lectures on keeping the paint imperfect, in line with the factory’s work, filled and smoothed this bituminous deadening, such that it looked like sheet metal. Frustrated, we pulled it off, found some miserable bituminous replacement, and painted it badly — giving it a bona fide factory appearance! ??

So, if you’re looking for a factory look, the front deadening has no paint on it, the rear deadening looks... not beautiful. ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Thanks Steve - excellent summary of what’s typically there OEM and how to keep it still looking “average” in a resto project.