tomphot

‘72 Decals

9 posts / 555 viewsLast Reply

I am now in the final stages of putting my ‘72 back together after paint.  There is a significant difference in the oil decal that AMS with a set I bought, less for tire pressure one but it still bothers me.  Does anyone have a source that looks like my original?

AAA03D90-272B-4CAE-A2F3-280862DD58F8.jpeg

(edited)

I don’t have a good answer, Tom!

I started collecting new stickers for my ‘76 in 1983 — that was mostly wishful thinking about a Big Re-Paint some time in the future. Beginning with BMW as a source — a few actually remained available at the time — I continued to collect sets of, as well as individual, stickers until I did a “final” re-installation in July 2018. For each sticker, I picked the “least bad” of multiple choices. A couple generous forum members sent me stickers they knew I needed. If I didn’t have a “least bad,” or I just couldn’t stand my only option, I had Car-Bone in Poland make me a duplicate of the original. I’m mostly happy now, as, over time, you forget what the originals looked like. Many stickers are terrible, but, hey, the originals were pretty terrible to begin with!

Car-Bone produced a 1972 tii emissions tuning sticker for Paul Wegweiser. I’d bet they still have the digital file for that (photo below)!

All my stickers wound up in a single Zip-Loc bag, so I have no idea where my individual stickers, save for the donations and Car-Bone stickers, originated.

Like I said: I don’t have a good answer!

Best regards,

Steve

C0F107F1-0D48-45EE-8E44-A3174F2A8995.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

Thanks Steve, luckily my emissions sticker is still in great shape, only missing a couple squares!  Now to decide where to put them - I’m really confused now that I’ve all the threads I could find!  Do you happen to know if the ‘72s had the “Use BMW parts” sticker?  My car seemed to have all the original ones but that wasn’t one of them. 

It's my understanding that the orange "BMW Parts" sticker was used on the Model 73 (1974-1976) and not on earlier cars.

• Like 2

(edited)
13 hours ago, Schon '02 said:

It's my understanding that the orange "BMW Parts" sticker was used on the Model 73 (1974-1976) and not on earlier cars.

+1

Since every sticker set seems to come with the 1974-75 Original BMW Teile sticker (first photo), everyone feels the necessity to slap it on, regardless of their car’s model year. But, yes, it only began with the square taillight cars. And in 1976, BMW switched to a different black-on-orange Genuine BMW Parts sticker (second photo). Very early 1976 models (manufactured September to November? 1975) used the 1974-75 sticker.

Best regards,

Steve

D0A26132-EF7B-4AF0-A753-B8C9085484B1.jpeg

3D3259B8-0E17-4352-9308-7D1B1E6CB358.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

From a practical stand point, I just want a fuse sticker...

• Like 1

Tom:  I had to have a couple of stickers remade from rough originals on my '72 Euro 2002 targa.  They are different from yours, but my point is, you can have yours remade at any competent graphics/sign shop -- assuming you have enough left of the originals to work from.

Don

45 minutes ago, dbower said:

Tom:  I had to have a couple of stickers remade from rough originals on my '72 Euro 2002 targa.  They are different from yours, but my point is, you can have yours remade at any competent graphics/sign shop -- assuming you have enough left of the originals to work from.

Don

Don, who did that for you?  I’m just down the road from you. 

Tom:  A local sign shop here in Athens.  I'm sure you have better options in Atlanta but I'm happy to help from here if needed.