Whaledriver

1973 2002 headlight boost kit install

8 posts / 455 viewsLast Reply

I recently purchased a BMW headlight boost kit that came with a confusing a color coded wiring diagram .  I guess the manufacturer assumed that it was just a simple plug & play. So far, I have laid out  the kits wiring harness but the kit apparently discards the turn signal circuit. As a result, I have retained and connected  the original turn signal wiring hoping that it will still work separately from the boost kit. Adding to the wiring confusion is that the kit uses black wire for the ground circuit,  blue wire for the "high" beam and red for the "low" beam. In addition, the headlight plug wire positions do not match the original. The original driver's side plug looking from the rear has the brown ground wire in the 9 o'clock insert, the black/yellow in the 12 o'clock insert and the white in the  3 o'clock insert. The new boost kit has both right and left replacement plugs wired with Blue at 9, ground black at 12 and red at 3. I am curious if the original  plug brown ground was at 9 and the new kit plug black ground is at 12, will I be short circuiting something or is the position of the old or new plug  wires not important as it pertains to the light bulb? Also, the is a short extension coming from the interconnected dual relays with a male insert plug with blue, black and red wires. I don't know what it  is suppose to attach to. If anyone has installed this boost kit, I would appreciate some guidance to complete the install. Thanks,

Hi, what do you mean by boost kit ? (higher output) sounds interesting, where did you get it, any pictures?

Sidney TII,

The theory behind the headlight boost kit is that it:

a.   using relays it bypasses the weak panel headlight switch circuit.

b.  illumination power is now sourced directly from the battery with larger gage wires. 

c.  headlights should provide an increase in brightness.

I'll research my long ago purchase resource and provide pics when the install is complete. 

• Like 1

(edited)

it's a simple relay installation correct?  One for dim, one for brights? (The wire gage should be 10 and 12 twelve AWG....leave the 14-18 in the drawer). The 2d schematic is probably what you have ( combine one dim and one bright into one bulb to match the 3 conductors in your headlight pigtail)

relay install.jpg

headlight relays install.png

Edited by Mike A

I added a fused, high beam relay to my '73 many years ago, and inevitably did a column about it.  PM me if you'd like a copy.  '73s don't have fused high beams, so adding a relay with a built-in fuse definitely improves the system.

mike

• Like 1

I am still trying to finalize my headlight booster connection issue (open document)

I am having difficulty determining the proper wiring connection to the headlight booster kit that I purchased. All of the wiring is laid out but the final connection to the harness from the original harness poses a question mark. The new kit has the final lead that should attached to the original driver's side headlight socket of 3 wires colored Red, Blue & Black as does the new headlight plug in (see below picture).

Not only do the plug colors not match but they do not correspond to the slot positions! (see below sketch)

1604985934_headlightsocketplugindiscription.jpg.555b6d56ab33885a7d8ba7e075b53bd0.jpgIs the position of the wires on the new headlight plug an issue or will it cause a short circuit?Should I ground this blue ringed wirer?

image.png.bfccacc27f05cd752350839fcd16ee8c.pngnote the blue vs white wire connection!1705020613_Boosterplugandgroundwire.jpg.0a7ebf68d9830b52520c0e05c97206f0.jpgShould I ground this blue ringed wire or switch it with the adjacent black wire?

image.png

Headlight booster wiring kit.jpg

wiring question to 2002 FAQ.docx

I hope you get it all figured out because I believe it will work out nicely for you.  I purchased a fused relay wiring harness from Daniel Stern Lighting along with new H4 headlamps.  When I installed the wiring harness, I almost didn't want to install the H4's.  The sealed beams became quite a bit brighter when all the load was off the switch.  Good Luck

Dont let the wiring color throw you off.  H4 is a standard wiring schematic and as long as the manufacturer followed H4 wiring pattern, everything should work out.

In that picture the yellow connector with the blue wire on the right side would be ground in a H4 setup so that probably should be grounded.

image.png