Healey3000

The Nightmare Before July Fourth - rear glass

26 posts / 668 viewsLast Reply

Oh, also, once I had the windshield in place but before installing the lockstrip, I slipped the tip of a tube of good silicone under the rubber seal and caulked under it the whole way around. A little messy but good peace of mind.

4 minutes ago, NYNick said:

Oh, also, once I had the windshield in place but before installing the lockstrip, I slipped the tip of a tube of good silicone under the rubber seal and caulked under it the whole way around. A little messy but good peace of mind.

I plan to do that with the butyl goop.   I think on a car this old, with less than pristine paint in the seating surface, relying only on the rubber to seal is asking for trouble.

So I have to confess that its been years and years since I actually installed an 02 windshield. It was kind of a pain so I started using a local auto glass shop for all of that. Windshields were reasonable and installation was included. Going to use the same shop for new glass after survivor is refinished.

let us know how it turns out. I for one am interested to know.

As a former manager of mine was fond of saying, "there will be some form of execution" on this. :wub:

Damnit, I'm an idiot!

I grabbed the bottle of Goo Gone to try and clean the butyl off the gasket and this morning I looked at the label, which says "do not use on rubber".

Gaaaaahhh!  I hope the gasket isn't damaged.

Just catching up on this thread - don't worry, it's all a learning curve!

I was part of the camp that installed the locking strip after the seal was installed. I like the theory of installing the strip before installing the window, but the practical side of making the seal less flexible and a bit "wider" made me choose the other.

Using the wheel locking strip tool made it relatively easy, but like most things again, its a learning curve on where you position yourself and what forces to use and how to keep the strip straight while turning the corners, etc. I'm pretty good mechanically and so it wasn't a major concern to me.

You'll get it!  Like I said I installed/pulled it three times to get it how I wanted.  Learning curve.

Jason

On 6/30/2019 at 10:01 PM, Healey3000 said:

One difference is that I have pre-installed the lockstrip, as per the factory manual.. I've also spoken with a person who did a lot of these back in the day and he also said that the lockstrip should go first.

Although this may be 'correct' it seems to me that would make things significantly harder to get in as a DIY job; with the lock strip out of the way you have a lot more wiggle room to get everything squoze into place!  Plus I doubt there's any harm functionally to installing the lock strip after the fact, especially since that's what those tools are for.  Just my thoughts!

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 3:24 AM, Healey3000 said:

I have given up on the butyl and may shoot some all around under the gasket after it is installed.

This is definitely the way. If your rubber is half decent then any sealant applies is just belt and braces. 

I good technique I heard, if you are on your own, is to use a ratchet tie down strap, one without ends that works in a circle. Loop this across the glass at the top and through the rear quarter windows with the ratchet mechanism inside the car. This can then be pulled up tight to press the glass inward at the top while you do the string job from the inside. 

the aftermarket tool has to be used very careful it will mark up the chrome lacing , is it a china gasket or window?  a small diameter rope is what the pro s use  I have installed a lot of front and rear window s  2 people helps, but if you are a new be  a mobile glass installer might be the bet, I had the front window installed by a glass guy on a 1955 chevy truck  it took him 15 min and its alllot harder than this  Bruce Mtuner restoring 2002s  starting in   1971

(edited)

I awoke in a cold sweat and realized it was just a nightmare.  Oddly, the sweat smelt like ammonia :)

Thanks very much for the suggestion of using Windex; it greatly helped get the glass in.  It went in when I swapped roles with my son - he pulled the rope and I pushed and beat on the glass.  One thing that made a huge difference was that I stood on the bumper, allowing me to get the correct angle to bear down on the upper part of the glass.

Again, thanks for the advice and encouragement!!

Edited by Healey3000
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 7:03 PM, tech71 said:

I just wouldn't do that.  Windex is used because it evaporates and leaves little residue. You get a better seal. If your dead set against windex you could use talc or baby powder.

Toss the cord in a baggie with talc and shake it/work some talc into your cord.

When I did my many  bugs, I used dish detergent in soapy water. I used butchers cord so it would absorb the soapy water and squish out when pulled. I always had a helper push right were I was pulling the cord. It helped seat it properly.