roman.lysiak

Forever coil talk. Need some direction

12 posts / 433 viewsLast Reply

I have a blue coil presently running with a ballast resistor measuring 2.1 ohms. Has run fine for years and now I’m having trouble. I understand that I should by pass the ballast with the blue coil which measures 3.6ohms across the push tabs. I do have an older Bosch black coil listed as a KW12v PN 221122003 and reads 2.2ohms across the push tabs. I’m thinking that is replace the blue one with the kw version and also keep the ballast resistor I should be good. Running Petronix which should not run off the terminal after the ballast but before. Could any of you confirm if this proposed kw setup is correct?

Roman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want 3 ohm's of resistance for your petronix so cut the resistor out and you should be good.

8 hours ago, roman.lysiak said:

replace the blue one with the kw version and also keep the ballast resistor I should be good.

that's what I'd do.  (no offense 2002iii)

I'd rather look at a black coil, than blue.

Does your black coil have the pretty carmel colored end?

Does it say Made in Germany on it?

Pretty caramel and made in Germany. Just stated it up and still sounds like crap. Going to change the dizzy with the IE one once the kids go to bed. That’s when all 2002 work typically occurs. Late into the night.

Generally speaking, coils work until they fail completely. I'd look elsewhere for issues.

Cheers,

Generally speaking, coils work until they fail completely. I'd look elsewhere for issues.

Cheers,

Still runs like crap. Need to check fuel pressure. Read a few threads about fuel starving symptoms which sound familiar (Runs smooth at 2k but any load sounds really throaty and usually backfires on shift change... but the miss has a rhythm like a constant item wrong. When I pull off the wire to cyl 2 for a brief second it runs smooth. When I just place the wire end on the plug without making contact, she sounds smooth. Weird. Just pulled no 2 plug and it looks like thisee8b28d32b613b6d578ca04e6ae47207.jpg
That looks wet right? Smells like fuel. What am I missing here? That would be a spark problem no?

What tool do you guys use for the fuel pressure reading on a 73tii. Was going to disconnect the line after the filter to see what it reads.

(edited)

That's gas fouled.

I'd check for a leaking cold start valve.

Download the tii FI manual from here http://www.2002tii.org/kb/59

Edit: Switch the plug to another cylinder, it may be bad. Do the same with the plug wire...

Edited by ray_

Shouldn’t be the cold start. I plug it in and out as required. It’s been unplugged for that last plug review. Switched the wires and no 2 was still problematic. Will change plug out.

31 minutes ago, roman.lysiak said:

Will change plug out.

May I suggest changing all four of them out and using NGK BP6ES instead?

(AKA NGK 7333)

The ones you have now appear to be Bosch plugs with built in resistance.

If you're shopping for new ignition wires, Kingsborne makes nice sets.

I remember you sharing the advance curve, but don't recall how much advance you have at idle.

Do you?

Just curious,

TOm

1 hour ago, roman.lysiak said:

Shouldn’t be the cold start. I plug it in and out as required. It’s been unplugged for that last plug review. Switched the wires and no 2 was still problematic. Will change plug out.

So... you remove the fuel line from the valve as required?

Ok... ;-)

May I suggest changing all four of them out and using NGK BP6ES instead?
(AKA NGK 7333)

The ones you have now appear to be Bosch plugs with built in resistance.

If you're shopping for new ignition wires, Kingsborne makes nice sets.

I remember you sharing the advance curve, but don't recall how much advance you have at idle.
Do you?
Just curious,
TOm

Put the new distributor in and when I set it at 25deg for 2700rpm my idle of 850 is about 2-3deg

Wanted to wrap up this thread... replaced all 4 plugs with the NGK BP6ES. Amazing.  Smooth... Bosch ones were all fouled.  Could have been with all the back forth tuning going too far one way or the other, that they just go too fouled to run properly. The new dizzy from Ireland is amazing as well.  To feel the difference of a properly set advance curve.  Mine was too steep, and I can feel the difference in acceleration. Loves it at 4500 rpm.

Also put in a fuel pressure guage on the cold start line. After the banjo fitting. Without the car running, I got 24psi.  After warm up, it was down to 20psi. Is this something to be concerned about? My AFR was 10 at idle and never went past 15. I will start the process of ordering and redoing the pump assembly, but just wondering if driving 1000 miles ok for a weekend road trip.  PVGP coming up!

IMG_5859.JPG