Bayard

Educate A Noob, Cowl Notch?

9 posts / 405 viewsLast Reply

What is the seemingly important cowl notch? it only came on Tii's? It would indicate a replaced front body assembly? Please feel free to update my vocabulary/nomenclature, and, as always, a

picture would be worth a thousand words. While we are at it, what's up with the snorkle?

thanks in advance,

Bayard

I don't own one, but I really want one.

Center of the firewall, Tii's that originally had the aluminum intake runners. very early ones were cut by hand.Related image

Conserv will shime in, but the early tii's did not have that cut out on the firewall.

As far as the snorkel is concerned, tii radiator supports (nose) did not have the round cut out for the air filter tube to collect fresh air.

There is a never ending discussion because some of the tii's appear to have recieved a nose with the air filter opening, whether it happened at the factory or later, that is the 64k question.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bayard said:

I don't own one, but I really want one.

Expect to be peppered with exorbitant offers by the flipping lurkers here.  

• Like 1

My understanding is that, the '73 and '74 Tii's and Turbos, came with the notch cutout as easier access to view the timing marks.

I'm of the school that all Tii's came with a non-snorkel nose until, I see proof otherwise. 

• Thanks 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, coloincaalpine said:

My understanding is that, the '73 and '74 Tii's and Turbos, came with the notch cutout as easier access to view the timing marks.

I'm of the school that all Tii's came with a non-snorkel nose until, I see proof otherwise. 

+1

And ‘72 tii’s with E12 heads and aluminum intake runners as well, which is some (but not all) ‘72 tii’s, beginning with VIN 2761944...

Les (02Les), however, threw a monkey wrench into the works by pointing out that touring models — even those without fuel injection — have cowl notches, although those notches appear to be less elliptical than tii cowl notches. I have no idea whether that undermines or reinforces the “flywheel timing mark” theory! ?

Thanks a lot, Les: we were just settling into our old “flywheel timing mark” explanation when you just had to give us more facts! We had more facts than we needed previously, as in one, or maybe none! ???

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Center of the firewall, Tii's that originally had the aluminum intake runners. very early ones were cut by hand.Related image

Oh, sh*t.  Is my “was-Inka-now-Malaga” ‘73 going to look like this again someday? Maybe? ??

Best regards,

Steve

E7F18DE3-E00E-4E3B-9AF7-73492BF95165.jpeg

5 hours ago, coloincaalpine said:

That's what I thought, clearance for no interference, sort of like the notch found on the rear of some toilet seats.  Gets to be a messy job without clearance.