Bibm5

Weber question

20 posts / 852 viewsLast Reply

I have a 38/38 that has only been on the car for a year. It has been flooding after the car is shut off for the last couple months. I finally just tracked down the culprit but I have no idea what I'm looking at or what to fix. After the car is shut off fuel starts burping out of the tube circled in the picture.

I have tried to search but I don't know what the tube is called so It's not easy. Any help is appreciated. 6e0d480307195565fa84d0f61b1eddab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Do you have any way for the pressure to bleed back to the tank after you shut the engine off?

Originally there was a bypass valve that served that purpose, but it typically gets deeleeted along with emissions stuff.

A dual outlet Jeep fuel filter works for me.  It lets the pressure bleed back into the tank, via the fuel return line on the driver's side.

I do still have that return valve in place and the vacuum for it is pulled from the base of the carb.

Is this the fuel filter you're referring to? 18f73fb39031f83dd89c265489ca9fd3.jpg

Let me ask a odd ball question, what kind of spacer are you running under the carb?

Just thinking maybe you are running hot and may be boiling your fuel. Otherwise it is fuel pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately there is no spacer. It is on the long list of things to get.
If heat was the issue wouldn't it have had the flooding problem when I originally installed it?

The car has been off for over an hr and if I put my ear to the top of the carb I can hear air hissing. I'm hoping the jeep filter I put a picture of is the same as mint is referring to because I'm gonna go grab one before the parts store closes...

Here's the one I picked up. Smaller outlet is the return I'm guessing?
Hopefully this works [emoji1696]692ca37d42c239a18980601a3835a5ff.jpg

yup and put the return one up.

meaning, in the twelve oclock position... according to the instructions.

Make sure your tank is still vented.  The PO put a screw in my vent line and I pumped pressure into the tank with returning fuel, before noticing the screw.

As you probably already know, the steel return line ends down under the battery tray.

The drips are coming from the auxiliary venturi.  give them a wiggle and make sure they are snug.  if they are loose at all you should shim them into place.  some people like to stake them in.

2 hours ago, Bibm5 said:

I have a 38/38 that has only been on the car for a year. It has been flooding after the car is shut off for the last couple months. I finally just tracked down the culprit but I have no idea what I'm looking at or what to fix. After the car is shut off fuel starts burping out of the tube circled in the picture.

I have tried to search but I don't know what the tube is called so It's not easy. Any help is appreciated.

I don't know that much about Weber downdrafts, but that looks like one of your auxiliary venturies. In any event, you are obviously getting too much fuel dumped into the carb after shutoff. Seems like the first thing to do is pull the carb top and inspect the floats an needle valve (for crap in or damage to the valve [I presume there is only 1, like in the DCOE but I could be wrong]

My guess would be an issue with the needle valve and float.  It only takes a tiny bit of grit to stop the needle valve seating.

Update.
Jeep fuel filter did not do the trick [emoji53]. I also blew the vent line out to make sure it was clear.
About a minute after parking the car it begins what sounds like boiling or perculating then the fuel starts come out of the aux venturis and pools up on the butterflies causing the fuel to seep out the base of the carb. There also seems to be a little fuel fog that slowly starts coming up and out also.
I'm about to pull the top of the carb off to check the needle and seat. Definitely need a spacer in between the carb and manifold.

There is a phenolic spacer. I think that is fancy talk for plastic. Someone here will chime in on where to get one. Try putting it in, maybe put a fuel pressure gauge just to be sure that you are getting proper pressure. I found my Webber Uber sensitive to pressure. 2-2.5 lbs is all it could take before it would flood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk