Esteban

Uncommon Odometer Failure

6 posts / 392 viewsLast Reply

My odometer stopped working in the last few weeks. I was hoping I had the same problem most people have with the odometer gears that tend to fail, but after pulling out the cluster and speedo, I think I have another issue. 

When I run a drill where the speedo cable would normally go, I can see that the the shaft that turns the initial worm gear runs intermittently at best. It can slide back and forth about 2mm and works only somewhere in the middle of that range. (see attached video)

My speedo has always displayed the wrong speed. If it says 90, I'm doing 75. 

Anyone else have this issue? Should I just look for another speedo to replace this part or is it fixable? I don't see any obvious ways to disassemble further.  

Artboard.png

That's a first for me.  Unless you can figure out a way to access the inside of that piece I would agree that you should find another speedo.

Looking at your photo is appears that the speedo was subject to moisture at some time. Maybe the reason your speed was reading 90 at actual 75. Rust particles interfering with the magnetic function.  So two potential fixes or reasons to replace.  

I've repaired 3 speedos, including repairing the needle shafts and springs on two, but I never saw that problem. I think you should start looking for a replacement. They don't seem to be terribly hard to find. Don't know where you're at, but there are a couple on craigslist in Nor Cal SF Bay Area, one early/mid and one late (wood grain).

If you hold the speedo head so that the threaded coupling that retains the cable is facing you, you'll see two screws, at 2 and 7 o'clock (visible in your picture).  Remove those two screws and very carefully pull the back side of the speedo housing away from the front.  That'll reveal whatever is keeping the brass worm gear from turning.  

Before disassembling, grasp the small collar that's part of the shaft in the speedo that is turned by the cable and gently pull on it.  If it moves outward from the housing more than a couple of mm, that may be the problem with the wildly inaccurate speedo (which probably isn't connected with the inop odometer).  If you find this condition, PM me--I did a column on repairing this speedo problem.

mike

Thanks all. That context makes me realize it's time to replace not fix.

I have a '76 Speedo that failed this way.

Its fixable, you'll have to dissassemble some delicate bits like the ball bearing pressed in to adjust the end play.

With mine, once I got it apart it seemed that lubrication broke down, something started to bind in the odometer and the worm portion drove itself into the housing causing it to lock up completely. You'll probably find some metal bits in there from a shreaded gear.

I was able to repair it with some careful work. The disclaimer being that my other hobby is repairing antique watches so I have tools to work on gearing smaller than a Getrag.

572a1a626f080627427103f8af610bdd.jpgfe5dbd82ff0c1376c3d0cd1a531c1ae3.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

• Like 1