gordon415

Early front bumper bracket mounting

10 posts / 452 viewsLast Reply

Anyone have a picture of how the brackets are mounted to the frame? I've searched but cannot find any photos or diagrams. From what I've read on here, they are bolted on using carriage bolts. 

Mine appear to be welded on. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing under my car. Could someone confirm? (Picture below...and please don't judge because of the layers of dirt and grime under there.)

This wouldn't be an issue if someone didn't just back into my car and bent the left bumper bracket (and more!) ?

I hope I can bend it back in place like I did the grille. 

IMG_20190628_095146.jpg

24 minutes ago, gordon415 said:

Mine appear to be welded on. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing under my car. Could someone confirm?

Yours are welded in.

There 2  "T" slots in the frame rail that correspond to your two welds in the bracket, which the bolts go through secured by nuts and washers, allowing a small bit of fore / aft movement.

(edited)

Somebody decided to weld your brackets to the frame rail, not a good idea. This is an example of why some people should not allowed to get next to an 02. The heads on the carriage bolts slide into slots in the frame rail. And, then you simply tighten the bracket down with the corresponding nuts. The brackets are designed to be slightly adjustable and removable for straightening following a front end fender bender or collision. It's very difficult, if not impossible to straighten the brackets while they are still mounted. Now, you have to find a way to remove and / or break those welds. I'm not a welder, but a good fabricator can do the job. Stay away from most of the muffler shops as they are weld happy and will weld your entire exhaust together, making it impossible for you to service your car unless you chop apart your exhaust system.

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 1

(edited)

Not sure if this help you now that yours appear to be welded in, but....here's my Touring. Bumper bar part way in. It can be a beggar to get it in with the bolts stuck out/loose; maybe why someone welded them in after fitting.

DSCN2742sm.thumb.JPG.951934fd85e9e4c113f5538dbd82a3bd.JPG

Edited by 02Les
  • Thanks 1

(edited)

A little patience and either a Dremel tool with lots of cutoff wheels, or a larger grinder/cutoff will flatten out the welds so you can remove the bracket and reinstall one property.  Suggest using stainless steel carriage bolts/nuts so they won't rust in place and be impossible to remove the next time.

And when you're ready to reinstall the bumper, PM me--I did a column on the proper sequence of assembly and installation.

cheers

mike

PS--the US '73's (only) used a different and much sturdier bracket that bolted all the way through the frame rails...

Edited by mike

Might not have anything under that mess to install the bolts per the oem design.

6 hours ago, Slavs said:

This is an example of why some people should not allowed to get next to an 02. 

Reading this made my day. And yes, I agree. 

5 hours ago, jimk said:

Might not have anything under that mess to install the bolts per the oem design.

I'm wondering if that's why the PO welded them in. I know it was in an front end collusion at some point long ago based on other tell-tale signs. But not sure if that's related to the welded brackets.

Thank you all for the assistance. I'm going to play with it a bit this weekend and see if I have any luck bending it. If not, I'll try your advice @mike and hope the holes are still there so I can install new brackets. I'll add this to my ever growing to-do list. 

Looking at the picture @02Les posted, it appears the bolts don't go all the way through the frame rails, but slip into a groove. Am I seeing that right? Or do the carriage bolts go all the way through the rails?

If the bolts do fit into grooves, and I find that my grooves are gone/broken/unusable after I remove my welded brackets, is it possible to drill a hole through the width of the entire rail, or is that a bad idea for structural integrity? 

(edited)

Basically, they are carriage bolts that slide into grooves. However, if you have a USA '73 with the stiffened brackets, I believe the bolts to hold them do, indeed, go right through the rail. All the earlier '02s were like my pic.

Edit: yeah, like what Mike said!!

Edited by 02Les
  • Thanks 1

Ok, got one off this afternoon and the holes for the carriage bolts are mostly intact, except for one of the pressure plates (or whatever they are called) to keep the bolt in place. Phew! I had a time getting the grinder in that tight corner, but it all worked without causing damage to the frame. 

The bracket came out in two pieces...must have broken in a fender bender and that's why the whole thing is welded. 

IMG_20190712_184151.jpg

IMG_20190712_184130.jpg