bluehills2002

Question re stock air filter versions

8 posts / 364 viewsLast Reply

I would like to assemble the parts needed to replace the small Weber air filter with a stock filter for a ‘74, but I cannot find a post that shows the differences.  Shown below are two now or formerly for sale— is the black one what was used in 74-76?  Were they black, gray or both?  I know the earlier version had three supporting legs, but did the later version as well, or just one bracket?  I could not find a sample in Realoem.  I am also looking for the Paul W thread that lays out how to do the conversion with a Weber 32/36 in place, but my search skills are not working today.  Thanks!

03E0B604-87AB-4E42-B082-395F2A0C1B94.jpeg

493B7302-E8E3-486D-9688-DE7BA97AC53B.jpeg

The black one you pictured, is correct for the 2 barrel carbs, the first pic you have is for a 1 barrel carb.  The 2 bbl carb air cleaner was held down by 2 supporting brackets. (I don't have a pic off hand).  The 2 bbl air cleaner for the 74-76 year models were black in color, while the earlier 2 bbl models were a greyish green color (black, olive color).  

Hope this helps,

Matt

(edited)

Tom, master tinkerer (‘76mintgrun’02, mit umlau, which I can’t replicate! ?), has honed to a fine edge the process of converting the stock 2-barrel Solex air box into a Weber-friendly unit. ?

There is is a long thread out there on the topic!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

^ +1

Link below is my write up for Weber 32/36 with original air filter housing. Canister led shown in the article and color is for 2 barrel carb up to 76 (excluding single barrel). Model year 76 led is what you shown in 2nd picture of original post. 

The one barrel air cleaner is significantly smaller than the two barrel, and the supporting legs are part of the air cleaner itself.  The two barrel air cleaner is supported by legs that are bolted to the intake manifold.  Later two barrel air cleaners--the style with the many "spokes" in the lid that extend all the way to the roundel in the center--are painted black (certainly on 76s, possibly on '75s).  Earlier ones, both one and two barrel are painted grey.  Several companies made those air cleaners, so the greys may vary a little.

A few minutes with tinsnips or a Dremel equipped with a cutting wheel, some closed-cell foam about an inch thick, and you can convert a two barrel air cleaner to fit your Weber 32/36 or 38/38.  And the factory air cleaner is far superior to the small foam filters often seen on Weber conversions:  more air intake surface, and the ability to draw cool air in from outside the hot engine compartment.  

mike

Thank you all, that is the advice I was looking for.  Now I know what to look for in the Parts section.

NMNA, but here is one on eBay that looks okay.  It is nice that nobody's hacked out the bottom.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1502-2002tii-M10-2-bbl-Air-Cleaner-Filter-Cover-1968-77-GENUINE-13721257989/163701788375?hash=item261d630ed7:g:yOgAAOSwEgZc5aLa

I think the original rounded over domed base is worth maintaining, but it requires finding a suitable adapter.

005.thumb.JPG.e0d08d7d003deed0a0373c5069ba4503.JPG

I'd suggest finding the original support brackets for the filter.  That is a waaay better method of securing it than using bolts in the middle... that's just nuts.

672989504_crackedaircleaner.JPG.d5aa15bab53c5bf463a2da42bc1381e1.JPG

I'm sure you can mount one in a few minutes, but I'd suggest setting aside some time to fiddle it into place.  Time well spent.

Here is the long thread Steve mentioned. 

Have fun : ) 

Tom

• Like 1