TurkisM2002

Aftermarket options for clock

10 posts / 331 viewsLast Reply

Has anyone replaced their clock with an aftermarket piece? My clock no longer works - Yes I have taken it apart and it would appear the resistor is still soldered in place between the two contacts. Also did a continuity test, but I"m not sure what I should be seeing as far as Ohms go.  Anyway I can't seem to find any short. And it does work mechanically as I can 'wind it up' by hand and hear it tick. 

Thanks

If you're referring to a clock in your car, there are several places that can repair it.  One place mentioned here - http://www.clockwks.com/The_Clock_Worx.html

I'm sure you looked at previous posts re: DIY repair.  Here are two I bookmarked:

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/151244-clock-repair-again/

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/151784-tii-clock-repair-revelations/#entry975092

Thanks John. Pictures in the articles helped big time. For all my searching I kept finding broken links and articles with no pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And any good instrument shop, e.g., North Hollywood Speedometer, could replace the original movement with a modern movement, leaving the appearance absolutely identical to the original — although not the occasional noises emanating from the classic ti/tii clock.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Vintage Autobahn was selling a replica for 100 bucks.  They might still have them.  My repaired original is in the archives and my replica is keeping good time for 3 years now.

So I fixed it! There was an extra lightbulb inside the clock that had shorted out that fuse link. damn PO!

Thanks for help folks. We will see how well it holds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

(edited)

Be sure to use low melting temperature solder for the fusable link.  That link was designed as a fuse to break off in case of an electrical short.  

Edited by Tsingtao_1903
  • Like 1