TurkisM2002

Loose turn signal stalk

6 posts / 341 viewsLast Reply

Good morning everyone, my turn signal stalk does not want to hold its position when I push up to indicate turning left. The stalk slowly works its way back to center. I’m assuming the catch mechanism is just worn after 46 years.

And as for indicating a right turn, the stalk holds its position but sometimes doesn’t make electrical contact and therefore no blinking. If I hold down on the stalk it works fine

So I was going to try to clean out the turn signal components with a mild degreaser and or electrical contact cleaner.

Curious to know if anyone has come across this before and whether I can salvage the switch or if it’s beyond repair.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a column on how to repair this problem; PM me if you'd like a copy.

cheers

mike

I attempted to repair my turn signal switch, it exploded into a bunch of broken plastic and springs. The plastic they are made from becomes very brittle and prone to cracking with age. I wouldn't mess with it till it completely stops working, but start look for a new one now.

As above, if you CAREFULLY prise up the (brittle plastic) back of the switch from the aluminum case, you can clean up the contacts, adjust the spring-contact, and put a bit of dielectric grease on some of the contacts. The little aluminum flanges that hold the plastic back in are also brittle, so they bend once or twice before breaking off. Since one side of the switch is spring-loaded, you can push the back to one side and leverage the switch out.

I recently had a similar problem. My switch would not return from one side (the right, as I recall). I pulled the switch (big PITA, of course) and found that the case was cracked.  I lubed the internal pivot points, cleaned up the case and covered the cracked area with JB Weld. So far, so good, but I don't expect this fix to last forever.