borgpj

Sunroof Installation

15 posts / 647 viewsLast Reply

The 1973 Sahara is coming back together.  I am curious about the sunroof rear cable attachments to the sliding panel.  What is the purpose of the spring-metal swing arms that are attached to the sliding panel and apparently need to be rotated to a fore and aft position under the rod attached to the cable end fittings.  Is the arm shown in the picture in the correct position or does it need to be above the rod?  Both of my swing arms have now detached themselves from the sliding panel and one got lost.  If they are critical to the sliding roof functionality, I will fab up the missing one and re-attached them to the sliding roof again.  My slider seems to work OK without them being in place when I did a pre-headliner test fit of the roof.

P1010939.JPG

(edited)

The rotating arm holds the pin of the cable assembly in place. It secures the roof and prevents rattles.  Your picture is correct.

Edited by jgerock

I was about to ask the same question when I saw this thread.  Apparently I do have right, but not sure why left side pops up properly but the right side does not when sunroof is closed. Feedback is appreciated. 

B0E82B85-6117-4F96-A784-DC97F8D1A2D2.jpeg

BA789536-1BC3-49CB-9C16-EE41A8F6C03A.jpeg

29 minutes ago, mbausa2001 said:

I was about to ask the same question when I saw this thread.  Apparently I do have right, but not sure why left side pops up properly but the right side does not when sunroof is closed. Feedback is appreciated. 

B0E82B85-6117-4F96-A784-DC97F8D1A2D2.jpeg

BA789536-1BC3-49CB-9C16-EE41A8F6C03A.jpeg

Your issue may be related to the brass height adjustment teeth on the cable end. The body has a bump which causes the rear of the sunroof to rise up.  Either yours needs adjusting or the cable is broken (my right one was broken on the 69 - rear edge sat too low).

Thanks, Jim.  The cable is not broken as I have taken it apart so many times.  I also made sure the plastic forks in the back secure the rail in place.  By adjusting, do you refer to grinding the height of the cable end shown in the picture? Forgot to mention that sunroof sits high and that grinding it down may also help with that.  
Thanks again 

5E7085F3-0266-4569-915E-2248FFC3CAD7.jpeg

5 hours ago, mbausa2001 said:

Thanks, Jim.  The cable is not broken as I have taken it apart so many times.  I also made sure the plastic forks in the back secure the rail in place.  By adjusting, do you refer to grinding the height of the cable end shown in the picture? Forgot to mention that sunroof sits high and that grinding it down may also help with that.  
Thanks again 

5E7085F3-0266-4569-915E-2248FFC3CAD7.jpeg

There is a “cheese head” machine screw viewable from the inside that holds the serrated pieces together. Loosen that screw and move the upper part down a few teeth. Tighten the screw and check how it fits the roofline.

Thanks, Jim. Much appreciated.  

Have you checked the "synchronisation" of the cables? Maybe your passenger cable is too far back in comparison to the driver's.

Where do your cables come from? They don't look like 02 parts to me.

hen

8 hours ago, Henning said:

Have you checked the "synchronisation" of the cables? Maybe your passenger cable is too far back in comparison to the driver's.

Where do your cables come from? They don't look like 02 parts to me.

hen

You may be on to something...  if a set of Volvo cables have been installed, the footprint of the square slides may be different than those for a 2002.  I observed this after purchasing a set of used Volvo cables (metal blocks versus plastic). Looking for comparison pic I took..stay tuned.

Just ran across this older thread.  Note the length of the cable is different (but supposedly it still worked).  My concern is the length of the swinging arm with serrated tab is longer than the 2002 version.  This may make the roof higher than necessary.  

I got the cables on faq and as mentioned it’s from an old Volvo and they’re longer than oem.  Re synchronizing the cables- I installed the winding gear after pulling the cables to the same reference point such as the stopper.  They seem to be moving in tandem.  Thanks 

6 hours ago, jgerock said:

Just ran across this older thread.  Note the length of the cable is different (but supposedly it still worked).  My concern is the length of the swinging arm with serrated tab is longer than the 2002 version.  This may make the roof higher than necessary.  

I’ll take some pictures in the next day or two. I don’t recall being unable to get an acceptable fit within the adjustments.

3 hours ago, 02Coastie said:

I’ll take some pictures in the next day or two. I don’t recall being unable to get an acceptable fit within the adjustments.

👍. Glad you chimed in.