MrAdams

HELP - What brakes am I?

11 posts / 511 viewsLast Reply

So one of my calipers went out, and I always thought it was cool that I got the car with 4 piston calipers, well it was cool until I realized, I don't know what brake upgrade was done to this car throughout its life.

Can anyone help me figure out what brake Caliper I am running? Volvo? 320? Tii? 

thanks, Sorry if photos are huge. 

Adam

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

(edited)

No  idea, but they are not BMW

Edited by uai

Standard volvo setup (and note that they have not had their mounting holes repositioned [leading to that slightly off pad wear at the top]).

• Thanks 1

Would you guys start from scratch? or keep these? 

Trying to run 13"s... 

Why not keep them if they are working? You'll likely have to have the mounting holes repositioned( as Andrew said) to work with most 13" wheels. I simply ovalized the mounting holes on my Girling calipers and pushed the caliper toward the hub. Clears Cromodora cd40's and borrani steel wheels for sure.

Bob

15 minutes ago, bob02 said:

Why not keep them if they are working? You'll likely have to have the mounting holes repositioned( as Andrew said) to work with most 13" wheels. I simply ovalized the mounting holes on my Girling calipers and pushed the caliper toward the hub. Clears Cromodora cd40's and borrani steel wheels for sure.

Bob

ahhh I got it, - I need a new caliper because these were ground down by the prior owner ( 7 years ago )  and that grind finally gave way and started leaking. 

So I guess I could just get the one caliper, but would like to eliminate that entire drama. 

Is there a part # to reference for the Volvo Calipers? 

Yes, if you google search it here it a couple threads will pop right up.

Which 13" wheels are you trying to run?  Repositioned volvo calipers (IE would sell them sans kit if you wrote them directly) will clear most, but not all 13"'s.

They are 13X6 BBS - but the inside is smaller than my 13x 5.5 BBS my 5.5 fit no problem at all. 

Nice car, I love the wink mirror, they are almost unfair in a 2002 greenhouse total side to side visibility. If your going to do any performance driving (and that sure looks like what your car is set up for) replace your calipers in pairs IMHO?

38 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Nice car, I love the wink mirror, they are almost unfair in a 2002 greenhouse total side to side visibility. If your going to do any performance driving (and that sure looks like what your car is set up for) replace your calipers in pairs IMHO?

Yea this mirror is like turning your head 180 degrees  - I love it - I only put it on  because I got the car without a mirror way back when, and it probably wont come out until I get a headliner. 

Yes I plan on replacing the pair , since I have been slowly blowing out everything that is old... 

Started with fixing my brake booster hose, then slave cylinder, now my caliper. ahh, i love it...