Bo's 02

2002 Rain Gutter Removal for Paint?

10 posts / 583 viewsLast Reply

Hey folks my 2002 is in the shop right now being stripped and sanded for new paint and I was wondering if removing the gutter trim is necessary for new paint. I'm not getting a show room paint job just a respray of the entire car (in the original color) excluding the engine bay. My body shop guy says it's okay to leave the gutter trim on as it's difficult to remove and if I replace them the new ones could get bent up as well being put on. Any advice on this? Should I leave it on or replace, the gutters are in decent condition also. 

It is the best practice to remove it and replace it with new gutter trim. You are welcome to leave it on as long as your shop is very careful & it doesn't get hit with a sander.

Stripped and sanded ?

if you’re that deep into the restoration you will not find the old trims compatibility to

the high gloss paint acceptable 

Thats a cool little tool bookmarking that. I always have removed them with a modified bottle opener.

2 hours ago, West Palm 2002 said:

Stripped and sanded ?

if you’re that deep into the restoration you will not find the old trims compatibility to

the high gloss paint acceptable 

Might replace and refinish all the chrome if I can.

1 hour ago, tech71 said:

Thats a cool little tool bookmarking that. I always have removed them with a modified bottle opener.

Which direction should I start the removal, from the hood back or trunk to hood?

I've done this a couple of times--with my fingernails and a small wood scrap and equally small rawhide mallet.  I did a column on removal and reinstallation; PM me if you'd like a copy.  

mike

• Like 2