Solarphil

Recommendations for overseas transport - UK to US

8 posts / 533 viewsLast Reply

Any recommendations on a good company to work with on shipping a car from the UK to the US?  Companies to stay away from?  Any thoughts on Roll-on-Roll-off vs containerized?  I’m thinking port destination of either Houston or east coast (ie near Baltimore) so I can visit family and drive it home.

Car is a 93 M5 I scored on BAT (yeah, I know, it’s not a 2002 but I needed one classic with airbags, and driving / working on / owning an S38 has been one of my life goals).

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!

phil

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip, I like the sound of their Secure Exchange offering.  Will be interesting to see how what looks like their champagne services line up with my beer budget ?

Cosdel is very expensive.  Try Trans Global or Phoenix / MapCargo for reasonable (but not lowest price bidder-style) Ro-Ro.

(edited)

So you bought the Red Sedan GD64079 Ex Bologna Motorshow one off ?

Edited by uai

I researched taking Sputter to Europe (and back) awhile back, and have a few nuggets from my recollection:

• They are serious about how empty they want the gas tank
  • I was looking at containerizing the car.  It was not materially more expensive than the RORO, and gave me some piece of mind re door dings/etc.  YMMV
  • IIRC, I was looking at Southhampton as the UK port, which is convenient to London

More importantly, if you find yourself wheeling through Texas, give us all a heads up, and we will gather up a few folks to feed you some BBQ

• Like 1

Good news, the car should now be loaded on the ship and making her way towards Galveston. I went with RoRo.

I’m planning on flying out around August 10th to pick her up and starting the road trip home. Don’t know how close any of you might be to Galveston/Houston/Austin/Lubbock or other points somewhat near to a diagonal between the gulf coast and central NM, I only know Texas is a big honking state, but I’d love the opportunity to hook up with some friendly faces along the way.  Even if the route has to be a bit squiggly - heck, maybe it’s even better if the route is a bit squiggly. Let me know

cheers

phil