Schon '02

Hood Seal Orientation

7 posts / 566 viewsLast Reply

After rebuilding my heater valve and checking that the cable controls fully close the valve, warm air still vents into the passenger compartment when the heater box dampers are opened. Assuming the valve is working properly, warm air is leaking from the engine compartment and past the seal into the cowling area. Upon checking the seal, the cross section is not symmetrical. The flap is off-center and mine was positioned with the flap biased towards the rear, causing the flap to curl towards the front. I’ve reversed it to see if that improves the sealing, but if anyone knows if there is a correct  bias for the seal flap (front or rear), please chime in. TIA, Ken

This is the correct orientation, curled toward the front of the car. You can see the dirt that mine trapped (hopefully, more did not pass through). It is important to keep that seal flexible by cleaning and dosing it with rubber treatment. I use Vinylex to clean and Gummipflege to preserve (silicone paste). What about your side gaskets?

hood_seal.jpg

And...are you sure you reinstalled the lever arm on the heater control valve correctly.  It's really easy to do it backwards, so that when the dash control is set to cold, the valve is fully open--and vice versa.  Are your "elephant trunks", AKA "duck lips" (plenum chamber drain hoses) in good condition?  And +1 on the plenum chamber side seals.

mike

• Like 1

Yes, the heater valve lever is installed correctly; elephant trunks and side seals are in great shape. 

I checked out the parts catalog diagram to see if here was any indication for orienting the seal and it would seem to show the lip attachment to the seal base biased towards the front. I've flipped mine to this position to see if it makes any difference; if not I'll do a test and add some generic weather stripping to the cowl to see if that makes any difference; if there's still warm air from the heater core after all that its back to square one.

Hood seal.jpg

If you still have warm air venting the heater, just for grins, you might want to cut off the coolant flow to the heater core with a pair of vice grips on the hose where it enters the firewall. Also, you can check the exit hose from the heater to see if it is warm.