SydneyTii

Getrag 5 speed overdrive components

27 posts / 1679 viewsLast Reply

Guys,

Has anyone rebuilt an overdrive box lately?

Is it still possible to get things like the layshaft bearings

Have these components fallen into the unobtanium basket.

My box is starting to get stiff to get into 1st and 2nd when cold, its better when warm, I noticed going into 3rd is grabbing a bit as well.

Failing that its back to a rebuilt 4 speed, or a 5 speed from a later non cable speedo BMW 3 series (E30)?

And a GPS speedo that a couple of guys run here.

Thoughts and Ideas appreciated.

Cheers.

Have you eliminated other issues like shift linkage and platform? 

yes its all recent, last 2 to 3 years, all linkage bushes, I will double check any connections, but it is quite noisy now as well.

Not sure why it improves when its gets warm, theres probably a simple explanation,

I would have thought that the oil would thin out when hotter

I did have it in for some work recently, when i managed to cut my hand badly and couldn't finish a job, the guy Ive known for years and trust, felt it needed a rebuild but when I started reading I thought perhaps the layshaft bearings are buggered, and upon looking for the part started to hit a few brick walls, figuratively of course ?

The only things I have found since the synchros dropped out of the parts chain have been the small, common items.

I think most everything else has disappeared.  I remember running bearing numbers and dimensions years back,

thinking maybe they were relatively standard, and hitting that same wall.

t

Thanks Toby,

Oh dear, yes this seems to be all I'm finding now to.

At least there are options, back to 4 speed which given my usage isn't a big deal.

Later 5 speed, with no speedo drive, would mean a speedhut (i think that's their name) speedo.

I will have to read up on the later box swaps and see the process.

(edited)

I would make sure my clutch was functioning properly before leaping off the pier. Air in the system or worn hydraulic cylinder could cause it to not function as it should .

After that it's pretty much  "play used transmission craps" source a used one and hope its decent.

Your car no doubt has a 245 installed? Thats a high stakes game now with transmissions that are being touted as serviceable costing in excess of $1000 (not including hefty shipping) Check out your clutch before you roll those dice. Oh, didn't see the part about it being noisy... Yeah, doubt that's the clutch

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike G said:

Metric mechanic rebuilds them with a tapered roller bearing if you have $4200 burning a hole in your pocket

http://metricmechanic.com/transmissions/

Yes I was looking at those yesterday,it would be plus shipping to Aus?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mike G said:

Metric mechanic rebuilds them with a tapered roller bearing if you have $4200 burning a hole in your pocket

http://metricmechanic.com/transmissions/

Hmmm... The verbage on that link is regarding Getrag 265s. All I found elsewhere was a price sheet, with 2 different 245s. What's a 245 Sport OD? Is the $2995 version a stock rebuild? If I was in the market to do this now, I'd go ahead and call MM but I'll do that when I'm more likely to follow up. The stock 245 generally lasts a long time, they're all just getting old.

image.png.116888a18e5d7895bbc3fd11b2c20772.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JerryC said:

Is the $2995 version a stock rebuild?

Yes, with the tapered roller bearings.  I put one in last winter and am happy with it.   I returned the core on my return trip from the MidAmerica02fest to the shop.  They checked out the core while I was standing around looking at the shop.  Took them about 5 minutes to have the case apart and examining the gearing.  They don't want worn out gears in a core.

The rebuild was shipped via UPS in a craftily prepared cardboard box.  Either your trans or a core can be used for the build.  They met the promised delivery date.

If you call and talk to Jim Rowe, be prepared with your phone battery charged.  He likes to talk.

• Like 1

Ok so now I’m lost, so if I have a 245 OD box, what is the cost for a stock rebuild at MM

$2995?

or $4195?

Think the stock rebuild is $2995 plus $1000 core charge refundable when they receive a usable core. They appear to have a process to replace internal bearings with something else but if your gear sets/ synchros  are bad .... No core refund for you! They can't get around the unavailable gear/shift repair kits, shafts ECT any better than we can.

Regarding the Getrag 240 swap, That transmission is longer than a 4speed but shorter than  5 speed 245.

Most of the stuff currently on your car with the 245 won't work with it.

Looks like most internal bearings are still available for them but gears, synchro parts, shafts ECT? Nope.

• Like 1

Need to read up a bit more on gearboxes.

i can push it in and out of gear nice and smoothly without the engine running.

But when I drive it especially cold 1st and 2nd is tight to get into gear.

i noticed today when driving it, that once warm it’s quite good into both gears.

im ok with most things, but gearboxes are a mystery to some extent.

Can anyone explain why the box does this, it might just be buggered, or could it be something else??,