sam1904

New front strut stuck in tube. Wont go in, won't come out

11 posts / 602 viewsLast Reply

In the middle of changing out the springs and struts and sway bars.

In hindsight as difficult as it was to get the old strut out probably not the best idea just to insert the new one. However I did and now it is stuck fast and cannot be tapped down and I have no idea how to get it out without damaging. Anybody got any ideas?

Drill a small hole in the lower portion of the tube, apply compressed air, weld up hole. Then clean the inside of the tube with a stiff wire brush so this doesn't happen again.

(edited)

You may be able to attach a couple of washers with a piece of flat stock (hole drilled in it) to the upper threaded portion of the shaft and reverse tap it out of there. A skinny box end wrench way fit as well.

Have someone brace the strut at the steering/control arm (block of wood with their foot on it maybe)

What kind of shocks are those? are you certain the diameter is the same as the old ones? First thing I would check.

May want to think about just removing the strut housing from the car. Chances are that's where you are headed any way. Just went down this path.

Edited by tech71
edit

Thanks all, did end up removing it from the car and putting a washer on the top and tapping it off with a hammer. Time will tell if it damaged the shock. It is the recommended shock but it just does not want to go in. I have ordered a flu cleanet wire brush to try and really clean out the rust inside the tube and I have gone to town with sandpaper on the paint on the outside of the strut. Will try again tomorrow.....

Thanks all!

04FE4ED5-8F23-4ABF-AF2C-E27D92556D26.jpeg

D118E31E-B76D-48E6-9E13-ECE8DD208CB7.jpeg

To answer your other question, they are Koni's. Couldn't find the Bilsteinen HD's anywhere..

Ugly welds around the bottom of the tube that stand proud of the tube didn't help, after grinding those off and leaving enough that I still think it is a good weld it still wouldn't go in though.

(edited)

Spin a hone down the strut tube. Once the tube is honed, grease the old insert and test the fit.

Edited by Guest_anonymous
  • Like 1

I used a couple of spade bit extensions (1/4" shank input) and put a wire brush on it, so I could spin it with a drill to remove any loose rusty scale.  The little air powered nukie grinder wasn't the right tool... but the extension worked well.

004.thumb.JPG.a0fefdb5fce137d0d817ed00013f8885.JPG005.thumb.JPG.2476f47d96ae1261f162ec130c1bcd59.JPG006.thumb.JPG.674c3285becf3412cdfb877e67d28965.JPG

I like Daron's idea of honing it.

There are a bunch of posts about putting oil in the tube, around the strut insert, before closing it back up... in order to prevent future corrosion.

I recently installed new Koni struts as well, my tubes were perfect inside but the weld was just a bit high were they started or ended arc while welding, I had to touch it with a file and all was good and since it will be under oil no worry of corrosion. Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Also what I meant was the weld on the strut itself was high.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk