• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Complete driver's seat base upholstery

AlfaBMWGuy

Hi Bruce, please pull from your parts store a driver's seat base with good vinyl (don't worry much if there are cracks in the embossed center section, but I would pay extra if I don't need an upholstery shop to sew in good embossed vinyl that I have) for the smooth portions and the piping.  Take a few pictures of this from different angles and let me know what you'd like to get for it and whether you are willing to just sell and ship the vinyl cover rather than the full seat base. I'm really trying to wrap up my interior restoration work and this is the last remaining item at this point.

Thanks,

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To close out this thread, this weekend I finally got correct basketweave driver's seat base vinyl installed on my '02!    Below are a couple pics of the finished product.  Thanks especially to Bruce @m-tuner for supplying the driver's seat base vinyl piece that let me finish off the work on all my seats front and back.  Original driver's seat base vinyl is definitely hard to source, several months in my case, when you need the whole piece rather than sewing in new basketweave vinyl in the center section.

Thanks,

Gary

20190930_085050.thumb.jpg.962af7fc417f34be66337384c072bcaa.jpg20190930_085112.thumb.jpg.8c57de8d633544cecf7981a82218a693.jpg

Yes, it's a 1971 model year built on October 22, 1970 based on info from BMW.  The chassis is #1677187.  I like the pre-71 styling features inside and out vs. the Model '71 so that was one of the reasons I jumped on this in addition to it not being rusty and being kept largely original vs. most of them.  The original owner bought it in Boise when he was 25 and sold it to me when he was 71, still in Boise.  My first 2002 was a late 1971 so it was the facelift model of course.  This Granada one also has the original "ti" sport steering wheel, which is cool to have.  The original owner put a leather cover over it, now quite patina'd itself, and I've never taken it off.  I assume he put it on because the original, which I believe is a "pleather" is showing wear.  I've turned this into a 3-season nice weather driver that I drive to work on a daily basis--I live in an area without much heavy commute traffic making that more reasonable.

Here's a better shot of the steering wheel.  I've done quite a bit to the interior since the pic including replacing the ugly door speakers with something more period appropriate, replacing the modern CD player with a period Blaupunkt, and replacing the worn tan Coco mats with new red/black, replacing the worn clutch and brake pedal covers, adding the missing e-brake grip, and replacing both seat bases.  Both are actually mismatched embossing and they didn't match each other either.  You can see the cracks on the dash, but it's more spendy to replace or fix that than I can justify at this point.  Replacing the dingy carpets I think will make a huge difference now that the upholstery is squared away.

s.thumb.jpg.00797b6c34538dace7342a1bf86388b6.jpg