• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 BMW 2002tii- Inka Orange

Schatzie

BMW2002faq moderator - this has to stop.  It's obvious that this is a scam.  The same member posted this car for sale in December which got 7 pages (93 replies) on his listing with the majority of people showing interest.  This person is using the same photos and the same cock-n-bull story.  Here's the original post:

It's frustrating as hell to constantly being duped by these bogus postings when the majority of people (INCLUDING MYSELF) are hoping to land themselves a decent 02.

I would love to have a mandatory feature on the CLASSIFIED section for CARS FOR SALE that states that sellers MUST allow for the car to be seen before purchase otherwise their listings will be removed.  This will eliminate any scammers hoping to get the money upfront.  The onus should be put on the buyer to arrange seeing it personally or via a representative.  

#frustrated

1 hour ago, jgerock said:

I just PM'd the seller, requesting an inspection of the car (in Baltimore).   I'm curious about this car.

What do you say @Guest_anonymous??

I'm up for it

It’s just too odd and personal a story!

I don’t believe this was a scam at all. I believe this is just another quirky ‘02 owner — see, I’m not the only quirky one — who decided he wanted to take this item off his list of to-do’s. I fully expect that someone on this forum showed up at the Baltimore garage with $7K in cash and left it there in exchange for the car....

I’m serious. And, hey, I’m a friggin’ New Yorker: we don’t get scammed easily! ??

Regards,,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Don't know if it's a scam or a quirky seller. The price DOES feel too good to be true, as, if well-photographed, it'd probably bring $15k to $25k on BaT. But if it IS legit, it's the classic risk/reward trade-off. I lose cars all the time because I don't want to take the risk of committing sight-unseen without seeing a lot of evidence on condition. I will always default to things within driving/seeing/towing distance. Louie (the '72tii that was the subject of Ran When Parked) was the exception, but someone I know and trust looked at it for me.

A few years ago I helped a local guy buy two tiis sight-unseen on eBay. The first was much worse than we expected. The second was much better than we expected. He shrugged it off, said he does this all the time, and that it sort of averages out. I just don't have those resources.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

On 6/19/2019 at 10:54 PM, resra said:

Steve, sorry for my ignorance but what is the firewall notch that is always discussed on a tii? I would like to know more about this if you have any photos to explain maybe?

All 1973 and 1974 tii’s have an elliptical notch in the top lip of the firewall — they all have E12 heads and aluminum intake runners. 1972 tii’s originally equipped with E12 heads and aluminum intake runners also have the notch. (There might have been a few instances during the 3-month “transition” from plastic to aluminum intake runners when the body prep didn’t match the head and runners actually installed.)

Some say the notch is to aid timing from the flywheel ball: the aluminum runners are bulkier than the plastic runners. Others say it permitted installing the engine with the #4 runner in place. I wasn’t there to understand the precise, or all the, reasons behind it. I lean towards the timing argument.

Here’s the notch on my ‘73 (VIN 2762757).

Seeing the notch used on tii’s, some non-tii’s had notches cut post-factory to facilitate timing. I further believe that notches on the earliest tii’s with aluminum runners are more “home-made”, whereas the factory developed a better “notching process” by the 1973 model year.

Regards,

Steve

68642EBD-77EF-44CD-A2BA-EF3FEA73A92C.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, 02Les said:

Also, RHD (non-tii) Tourings had the cut-out starting late 1972. Probably the RHD sedans also but don't have enough pics to be sure.

Here's my Nov '73 RHD Touring.

DSCN2550sm.JPG.22e4f3345f5f52008a1b9e3ded998191.JPG

What’s that all about, Les? That takes some wind out of the sails of the aluminum-intake-runner explanation....

And, look: the notch is both shallower than the “tii notch” and not truly elliptical. Different “notch team”? Different “notcher”? Different purpose? Needed less clearance?

Fortunately, we’ll never know the truth, so we can endlessly speculate... ?

Best regards,

Steve

15 hours ago, Conserv said:

It’s just too odd and personal a story!

I don’t believe this was a scam at all. I believe this is just another quirky ‘02 owner — see, I’m not the only quirky one — who decided he wanted to take this item off his list of to-do’s. I fully expect that someone on this forum showed up at the Baltimore garage with $7K in cash and left it there in exchange for the car....

I’m serious. And, hey, I’m a friggin’ New Yorker: we don’t get scammed easily! ??

Regards,,

Steve

2 hours ago, thehackmechanic said:

Don't know if it's a scam or a quirky seller. The price DOES feel too good to be true, as, if well-photographed, it'd probably bring $15k to $25k on BaT. But if it IS legit, it's the classic risk/reward trade-off. I lose cars all the time because I don't want to take the risk of committing sight-unseen without seeing a lot of evidence on condition. I will always default to things within driving/seeing/towing distance. Louie (the '72tii that was the subject of Ran When Parked) was the exception, but someone I know and trust looked at it for me.

A few years ago I helped a local guy buy two tiis sight-unseen on eBay. The first was much worse than we expected. The second was much better than we expected. He shrugged it off, said he does this all the time, and that it sort of averages out. I just don't have those resources.

As you could see in my attached link of this PAGE 2, this same car, the same photos and same sellers story is a repeat of his post in December 2018. And in that first post, there was 7 pages / 93 responses with all showing interest in purchasing the car (including myself). Was there 93 people who didn’t pass the litmus test in getting the car- I highly doubt it. So I stand behind my initial reaction - scam!

1 hour ago, TNan said:

As you could see in my attached link of this PAGE 2, this same car, the same photos and same sellers story is a repeat of his post in December 2018. And in that first post, there was 7 pages / 93 responses with all showing interest in purchasing the car (including myself). Was there 93 people who didn’t pass the litmus test in getting the car- I highly doubt it. So I stand behind my initial reaction - scam!

My read?

This guy was totally overwhelmed by the response to his initial thread — many of the responders acting like an angry mob. There was screaming and yelling among the posters — because the car was obviously under market price — and the guy just said “Whatever... I’ll deal with this later”! Six months later, his wife said, “Did you get rid of that old car yet?”  “Uhhh...”

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, saaron said:

My euro tii was built in late June of ‘72 and doesn’t have the notch.  It has the aluminum runner / E12 thing going.  

It does have three snorkels, though, so I don’t know what that means.  

Scott

Classic “body-intake runner mis-match”, Scott ! ? And some poor guy got plastic intake runners and a notch!

Stated differently, “I haven’t a clue”!

And, if I recall, your Euro-spec was manufactured the same day as Paul W’s U.S.-spec car, which received plastic runners (and no notch). It was a chaotic day on the assembly line and Helmut, notcher-in-training, took his lunch break early.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, jgerock said:

I received a PM response from the seller indicating the car has been sold. Wonder who is the new owner?

Towards the bottom of his Bumper for sale post, he mentions sending the Title to CA.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/244319-re-chromed-rear-bumper-for-1973-2002/

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17