• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Washer nozzle jets overhaul

M2002Evo

Hi 

Has anyone ever overhaul and restored their 02 windscreen washer jets. Is there a “how to” service thread?  I’ve seen the cost of replacement and decided to attempt restoration instead. I’ve noticed in my strip down of the nozzles they are made of a copper nozzle and ( I think) brass body. The two pieces are soldered together.  My jets are blocked with scale and rust so I have left the to soak in Des sling and corrosion remover solution overnight. 

Id be interested in learning if any has installed an alternative system too. 

Thanks

+ 1 on an acetylene welding torch tip cleaner.  You can also use a short piece of piano wire (or an old guitar string) to poke down the nozzle.  FYI the original nozzles are plain copper tubing; replacements from BMW are chrome plated. 

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 6/19/2019 at 4:16 PM, chargin said:

I bought a new set from RogersTii, still available 

B0D4C2F7-DC68-4128-BCAB-3565B6A2B270.thumb.jpeg.bec8a449246c39b40d357287ceeef34f.jpegD2084FE1-F974-4451-BEAA-0156C77E8AC4.thumb.jpeg.0d67adecad5016c02b8f73c7b4d4b413.jpeg

Well, that looks a lot tidier. I love little fixes like that. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I bet they are! Man they are $50 AUD each! Think I will clean mine up....from memory years ago I put mine in a solution used to dissolve lime scale, it cleaned them out, but tarnished them, I think I ended up buffing them, not sure as it was a long time ago but I think they are some sort of copper mix... they polished up ok though.

Edited by SydneyTii

For anyone seeking the new chrome ones, they're available and we offer them for $29.00 each. I like the chrome ones way more than the old raw brass ones, when I'm going for that "finishing touch" under the hood. :-)

classicbmwparts@gmail.com

www.bimmer.com

• Like 2

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

And my two cents:

Let me start by saying that my ‘76, today, has modern chrome-plated versions (first photo). They went on when the engine was rebuilt in 2011-12. They replaced the originals, which needed plating at the time, and which were subsequently re-plated, but which I haven’t seen since we moved back to NYC in 2016.

My points are two-fold: First, the factory finishes I’ve seen on these nozzles are (a.) brass and (b.) silver cadmium plating (similar to clear zinc, which is a lot easier to obtain on a retail basis). I do not know if the factory finish was a function of time, e.g., early was brass, later was cadmium plating, or if it was a function of supplier, e.g., X delivered raw brass nozzles while Y delivered plated nozzles.

My ‘76 (VIN 2742541, April 23, 1976) came with cadmium-plated nozzles. The second and third photos, from August 1983, give a sense of the shabby nozzles at that time. They weren’t any better when I pulled them off in 2011. My ‘73 (VIN 2762757, October 19, 1972) also has cadmium-plated nozzles (fourth photo). Given that no one spent any money on my ‘73 between about 1980 and my purchase, I’m guessing the nozzles are original... ?

My second point is that if you are re-plating old nozzles, I believe the acid bath the parts are bathed in will dissolve residual deposits inside the nozzles, so you might solve cosmetic and functional issues in one fell swoop.

Oh, yeah, the chrome nozzles look nice, but are too bling for my.... aesthetic.... ?

Regards,

Steve

0089CC19-ECE9-439E-B0A3-74A41EC1F453.jpeg

B6116517-6C92-4AC2-A089-6A8D2EBE1462.jpeg

3371E8A9-B0E8-4C9E-8FA5-18D491D056AC.jpeg

5A992A61-C77C-4B2C-B38C-2179D3E08B70.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thank you to everyone who posted a reply. I’ve had my washer nozzle jets cleaned and now they will be anodised with a satin chrome finish. I’ve got two pairs so the second pair will be chrome plated. I’ll post photos once it’s all installed.