ezlnh8u

Ignition Switch going out?

13 posts / 440 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

Recently, My o2 has developed an awkward issue, when I turn the ignition on, only half way I can here all my accessories and aux turn on, but when it is fully engaged, everything turns off. Sometimes I have to finesse the key in slightly to start the car. The starter is good as the alternator as well. The 2nd reason why I think it might be my ignition switch, There has been a couple of times where the car will just shut  off while I am driving. it completely losses all electrical power. I can start it right away after that. Any thoughts? Ignition switch or possibly bad wiring?

Edited by ezlnh8u

Electrical part of the ignition switch is faulty. Easy to replace. Hard to find a good replacement (used may be your only choice).  Don't think new ones are available (unless you buy the entire steering lock).  

I've been wrong sometimes🤔

Agree with Jim, see if you can find the small electrical switch on the back of the ignition assembly.  Can be replaced without removing the column. Its two screws (once any under dash panels have been removed) and wire swap.  Helps to have eyes on the top of your head and octopus fingers, but very doable once a replacement is found.

May also just need a squirt of contact cleaner too.

~Jason

(edited)

You might be lucky and the switch is loose.  The symptom of the car shutting off at random is a clue.  Two flat head screws hold the switch in.

If you do remove it and notice burnt connectors it is a fault of the starter circuit which is connected directly to the switch without the aid of a relay.  

Once you have sorted out this issue I highly recommend installing a starter relay to reduce the voltage going through the switch.  This is one modification to the 02 that is definitely valid.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

I think I found the culprit, I wiggles this red wire just a bit with the ignition all the way on, shire enough it would power and than die out. I re tighten the climp, and so far so good.

I think I found the culprit, I wiggles this red wire just a bit with the ignition all the way on, shire enough it would power and than die out. I re tighten the climp, and so far so good.

It’s the red wire you see in this pic.
0f381b111ceb8173668f5e8f0bd8dcee.jpg

After about 15 turns of the key, it started doing it again, I am suspecting it’s the piece where all these connections go, but it only effects that red wire, so maybe that input internally has a fault?

(edited)

Be careful that you aren't drawing a lot of current through the switch.  Do the connectors or key get hot?

Edited by Dudeland
Fat fingers

On 6/20/2019 at 12:33 AM, Dudeland said:

Be careful that you aren't drawing a lot of current through the switch.  Do the connectors or key get hot?

The key does not get hot, But that Red wire does get a little warm. I tried recrimping it a bit tighter, I have not drove it enough since than to tell if it fix the issue. but now you got me thinking about the wire temps.

If it is getting warm it is drawing too much current through the switch. Time to use some relays for the heavy loads I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has oneone done this? If so can you provide a write up or pics if you have any?

(edited)

Small update, That red wire seems to be getting really hot. And whenever the car does start going out, I quickly reach under the dash, and push that wire in with light force and the car stays on, So at this point I am not sure if its the electrical part of the switch going out? 

Edited by ezlnh8u

Pull it out, clean it, lube it, put back in...........That connection in particular, but maybe even all them.......Can't hurt

Good luck

ira