Driv3r

Any other caliper upgrade option for tii?

11 posts / 505 viewsLast Reply

Has anyone tried any new setup / discoveries for tii caliper upgrade other than Wilwood (and E12/24)?

Preferably lighter aluminium calipers. 

I’m not aware of any. I know there are a few different wilwood kits that can be used. 

I just wanted to ask what the car is going to be used for? All street? Some track?

Also is there something specific you had in mind? Or is it just a budget/availability thing?

17 minutes ago, 02tradition said:

I’m not aware of any. I know there are a few different wilwood kits that can be used. 

I just wanted to ask what the car is going to be used for? All street? Some track?

Also is there something specific you had in mind? Or is it just a budget/availability thing?

I like to stay away from Wilwood for reasons that are good for me. 

Car is boosted and will have occational track days but I'm interested to see if anyone made any progress in putting together a setup from other later model BMW's or recent cars that is working for them. Here is a brembo caliper off a Nissan Skyline with Ford XR8 discs (Aussie ford) mounted on tii struts which cleared 13" wheels. I dont have much more info on this setup but I'd be interested in similar setups with later model BMW calipers. I know there was a guy from Japan working on Mini Cooper S caliper kits for 2002 but I havent heard from him since.

30815903_1085424304945303_8779815993388116921_o.jpg.93316319e28034e144db2a21fca322b6.jpg

(edited)

I am (not yet) running Porsche 911S Alloy Calipers on ti Struts with e21 323i Hubs&Rotors.

It's not plug&play, don't do it if you haven't got access to a mill and a lathe. if I had to do it again I'd take ti(i) hubs and the Alpina Repop disks from André like Alpina and Schnitzer and all the others did back then. It would make it a little easier. There may be clearance issues depending on your Wheel - i will use a 2mm spacer.

I chose this caliper because it's period correct and they are 5.5 kgs lighter than the standard 4 piston lumps.
(or even a bit more as I run titanium pistons)

Another option is using the 4 piston alloy calipers that were homologated back then, some of them are still available.

IMG_3340.JPG

1.jpg

2.jpg

CP2270-1CD.pdf

Edited by uai
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, uai said:

I am (not yet) running Porsche 911S Alloy Calipers on ti Struts with e21 323i Hubs&Rotors.

Another option is using the 4 piston alloy calipers that were homologated back then, some of them are still available.

IMG_3340.JPG

2.jpg

CP2270-1CD.pdf 65.04 kB · 1 download

I have access to mill and lathe. What need to be done? What year model Porsche 911s caliper are you using? Thanks

There are other setups for brakes you can use but I ran the willwoods on my tii race car and they were more than adequate in stopping the car at speed, I’d recommend them.  They are lightweight too, we shaved quite a bit of weight off the four corners using the willwoods in front and the Ireland engineering’s disk brake kit for the rear.  I used the vented disks with the corvette calipers they had with the rear kit.  

This can easily get into "mickey mouse" territory... so beware that your own withholdings may actually be holding you back.  The kits that exist are plenty capable.

That being said, for the academic discussion... the Alfa GTV6 brembo calipers are lighter than the 911s calipers and can use a 3" bolt spacing (standard 02).  As mentioned the 911s calipers use the 3.5" spacing akin to the tii.  

44599492905_0cd42427f6_c.jpg

Also mentioned above you can utilize a set of AP's repopped Lockheed calipers, which come with blank mounting sections for you to machine as needed.  In essence you are reinventing the wheel at this point, but if we were sensible we wouldn't be driving an 02 to begin with. 

https://www.apracing.com/products/race_car/brake_calipers/historic_range.aspx

• Like 2

Just be cautious of any recommendations from the LHD gang in case you are stuck running the standard RHD master cylinder.

Differences in cylinder volume / stroke may bring a different outcome. If you are cooking up a master cylinder as well the (I am assuming that you are getting all of this signed off by an engineer) then I would be going down the Tilton pedal box and no booster route. 

16 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

This can easily get into "mickey mouse" territory... so beware that your own withholdings may actually be holding you back.  The kits that exist are plenty capable.

That being said, for the academic discussion... the Alfa GTV6 brembo calipers are lighter than the 911s calipers and can use a 3" bolt spacing (standard 02).  As mentioned the 911s calipers use the 3.5" spacing akin to the tii.  

44599492905_0cd42427f6_c.jpg

Also mentioned above you can utilize a set of AP's repopped Lockheed calipers, which come with blank mounting sections for you to machine as needed.  In essence you are reinventing the wheel at this point, but if we were sensible we wouldn't be driving an 02 to begin with. 

https://www.apracing.com/products/race_car/brake_calipers/historic_range.aspx

Thanks Andrew. The AP racing historic calipers are good but I'm looking for a step up. Here is a picture of AP racing setup I saw here on faq last year. I cannot remember whos car this is but I like to know the model number of these calipers. 

IMG_2569.thumb.JPG.37e1d7e3ac1c0d0660532ba1959bb0b5.JPG

14 minutes ago, Simeon said:

Just be cautious of any recommendations from the LHD gang in case you are stuck running the standard RHD master cylinder.

Differences in cylinder volume / stroke may bring a different outcome. If you are cooking up a master cylinder as well the (I am assuming that you are getting all of this signed off by an engineer) then I would be going down the Tilton pedal box and no booster route. 

Yes no convensional boosters. Im using e21 pedals for test but also testing electric vacuume remote pump. 

5 hours ago, Driv3r said:

I have access to mill and lathe. What need to be done? What year model Porsche 911s caliper are you using? Thanks

Preface:

If I wasn't looking for staying period I'd have used some radial mounted Brembos with a neue Klasse upright and 14" or 15" wheels

If you're using e21 hubs and Discs you'll have to set the caliper pretty much centered over the disc- i did this by machining.

The caliper is made for 20.5 mm thick discs and e21 323i are thicker so you want them perfectly centered because you have to shave off your pads so they will fit.

Radial I took ca. 0,9mm in diameter from the "hat" off the e21 disc.

The previous owner was grindig a bit off the calipers where the forging splits were I surfaced them to make it nice.

If you go for ti hub and alpina repop disc it should be near to plug&play.

BUT: these calipers are very light on the one hand but they are not up to the power of the historic lockheed calipers.
I had alloy e21 hubs and 911 S calipers already so I used them. If I had to buy them I'd probably have gone for the Lockheed for the 21 mm thick disc and used the alpina 20mm repop discs. - which would not necessarily be more expensive.
They were used in a lot of Porsche cars in different variations
Basically 911s from 68 (very early without the stamped X- then with the stamped X, then the more modern caliper with a different look) until 73 including RS and Turbo

As well as special 904, 906, le mans quick change,  magnesium etc. etc. derivates.

more info can be found here
https://www.pmbperformance.com/lwb-early-911-brakes/Early_S_Calipers.html

https://www.pmbperformance.com/lwb-early-911-brakes/Late_S_Calipers.html

• Like 1