• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My odometer is way to optimistic

jp5Touring

My Speedometer works fine and appears to be pretty accurate. The tripmeter also appears accurate but I can't reset that back to zero.

The main  problem is my odometer is racking up miles fast.  The odometer is adding one mile for every 1/10 of a mile I travel, according to my tripmeter.

I've searched with no luck on this problem. I also have no problem spending $50. at Odometer Gears to fix it, if that is all it needs.

Also all the odometer numbers are all somewhat jumbled (see pic).   Thoughts or advice on how I might correct this ???

Thanks

Opps, forgot to add I do have a 5-speed,the diff is an open diff. as far as I can tell. I don't know what the gears are. I did read some people had issues with the cable on

the 5-speed conversion. I think the cable caused an inaccurate speed reading iirc. Not a  bad odometer reading.

IMG_3011.thumb.JPG.05d04135066144fc61c5db4827f43efd.JPG 

Edited by jp5Touring
old

Hollywood Speedometer

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

That's a new one.  You must get excellent gas mileage. 

I took mine apart because it wasn't spinning when I bought my car.  I was able to fix it using the solution in the FAQ Article, where you ding the shaft to give it a grip on the gear that it turns. 

Obviously, you have an entirely different problem, but I'll go ahead and post some photos of the back side, so you can see what you're getting into, in case you decide to open it up and fiddle with it (which is what I would do). 

I used a bamboo skewer and drill motor to spin mine.  Doing something similar might let you witness the problem.

033.thumb.JPG.4276de7c21913c391bad6ee46fbe9fb1.JPG

Here is the trip meter reset mechanism

023.thumb.JPG.b2d84088c5d42430290ac3d1dc7f61ad.JPG024.thumb.JPG.fc218aaf03ec6f57aaaae14c41e88847.JPG

Here is where mine was not engaging, due to the shaft moving and taking that brass gear out of alignment.

027.thumb.JPG.6dac3d8f8e7e77f0037ad81fc5ff2aa8.JPG

I cleaned all the old grease off and used Silicone grease when I reassembled it, since it doesn't dry out.

008.thumb.JPG.33b16331986bfea54f61cf0a7a752c92.JPG

It is still working fine after seven years.

I did have a problem with jarbled numbers upon reassembly, due to not watching the front when I put the shaft back in, but it was easy to get them lined back up, iirc.  I also reset it to zero at that time.

Open it up!  Open it up!!

( and take some photos to share : ) 

Tom