• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fun Roads for Our Cars

2002#3

Plan to do the Stelvio Pass next year.

Have driven the 'Million Dollar Highway' in Colorado & The Road to Hana on Maui.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

If you're in the Midwest, come join the RGB fall outing--for the past several years Jason Gipson has laid out some really fun back roads in northern KY for a Saturday's drive, AKA The Kentucky Ridge Run.  This year he and Jim Denker are working on a new drive in SE Ohio...should be great fun.  Not all of Ohio is flatlands--SE OH has lots of hills and twisty roads.

mike

+ 1 on The Road To Hana; another great drive is US 212 out the NE corner of Yellowstone...

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have not driven the Alaska Dalton Highway (aka, Haul Road) but, rather, have thumbed its entire dirt-, gravel-, rock-, and boulder-paved length.  Great road in so very many ways; however, I do not recommend driving it.

Larry

+1 on the Annual RGB Kentucky/Ohio Ridge Run.  Much fun.

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, adawil2002 said:

Plan to do the Stelvio Pass next year.

Have driven the 'Million Dollar Highway' in Colorado & The Road to Hana on Maui.

When we were in there a couple years ago i was looking for the roads to take and though Stelvio was at the top of some lists, the biggest complain was that it is ridiculously crowded and also has normal truck rout traffic. We did Furka Pass and Grimselpass on the way to Lauterbrunnen from Lake Como. 

20170718_093922.jpg

• Like 3

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

If you are traveling through the Finger Lakes region of upstate NY,  any of the drivers up and doe either sides of the big lakes like Seneca, Cayuga, or Keuka.  However. The best road is at the base of Seneca Lake in Watkins Glen.  Take adriving tour of the original 6.6 Mile road course that went around the state park.  It is beautiful, (AND FUN) with all the green in the summer and the the colors in the fall.  Then try to imagine how fast those guys were going in those old cars on those same roads!  Crazy!

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Cameron Highlands to Gua Musang, watch out for elephants.

Screenshot_20190618_145317.thumb.jpg.14503ecb9934cb8dc41d93fcff3f3792.jpg

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

I drove this in 2010 (part of my honeymoon) in a ‘reasonably priced car’. It was slightly spoiled for me by my darling wife telling me to slow down all the time. 

• Like 2

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

19 hours ago, Simeon said:

I drove this in 2010 (part of my honeymoon) in a ‘reasonably priced car’. It was slightly spoiled for me by my darling wife telling me to slow down all the time. 

I've been married 30 years and I STILL get that!

• Like 1

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

...then came Bronson....opening scene over the Bixby Bridge...

Big Sur to San Luis Obispo. Sort of a must if your out that way. Just reopened last year after huge mud slides  buried it.

It does suffer from tourist traffic the same as the Hana Highway on Maui. Much more relaxed though. The Hana Highway is ridiculously long, tight and slow and you basically breath tour vans  ass' the whole way. Plus it rains ALOT....

stock photos off the net...looks alot like these pics in real life...

gettyimages-85391104-2048x2048.jpg

gettyimages-697580357-2048x2048 (1).jpg

california-tourism__FocusFillWzExNzAsNjU4LCJ5Iiw2MV0.jpg

Road-trip-image-2.jpg

Edited by iinca