• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2.3L Stroker Dyno Results and Power Discussion

revolve40

I played with timing a little bit, and the motor is a lot happier (re: more stable) with quite a bit more advance at idle. Also confirmed the carbs are sync’d. 

Going to purchase a jetting kit and may consider 38 venturis, but am liking the way it drives right now. Will put it back on the rollers soon with the 155 mains and 190 airs.

Edited by revolve40

4 hours ago, Chris_B said:

Jacobs; don't know the model (decal worn off the coil). Now using MSD Blaster 2

Bosch copper. Usually run about .45 gap

Magnecor 8.5mm, 72 ohm per cm

Same everything but the plug wires.  My MSD are 50 ohm per foot  not sure what that means.  I know from my VW days that the plug wire resistance was important when picking a rotor, ballast and coil. . 

I am sure someone else on the forum is able to fill us in on the details around what this means and if this would help with preserving your resistor rotor, where mine explodes.

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

7 minutes ago, Chris_B said:

How often has this happened (and at how many miles) and what are your answers to your questions? BTW, we are highjacking revolve40's thread.

Doesn't bother me if it helps someone!

• Like 1

We are, I will pm you.   Sorry Revolve40. 

1 hour ago, Chris_B said:

How often has this happened (and at how many miles) and what are your answers to your questions? BTW, we are highjacking revolve40's thread.

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

On 6/24/2019 at 4:44 AM, Chris_B said:

Jacobs; don't know the model (decal worn off the coil). Now using MSD Blaster 2

Bosch copper. Usually run about .45 gap

Magnecor 8.5mm, 72 ohm per cm

0.45mm? Reckon you could open that up a bit. With a mixture in a 11's they'll foul faster and small gap will cause a stumble. 

Try 0.75 and see what happens. 

8 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I'm guessing Chris meant .045 inches, not .45 mm (which is only .018 of an inch).

.75 mm = .030" (which is not excessive)

Misplaced decimal point and lack of increments make it confusing.

Well, 0.045 would make it 1.15mm. That is excessive and will cause a stumble. Either way aim for 0.03/0.75mm. 

Yeah WOT mixtures in the 12’s sounds good ?

I seem to have eliminated my high rpm stumble by putting my MSD 8mm wires back in. Not sure if a coincidence or not, but it helped.

I have decided to really dig in to tuning the carbs, and have 38mm venturis on the way with a number of Air and Main jets as well. I'm going to shoot for 160 rwhp at or before 6500 rpm, which I think is attainable on this set up.

On 6/21/2019 at 8:15 AM, revolve40 said:

Thanks. I'm around 10-12* at idle with a timing light. I've been told to give it as much as 16*.

There's probably a degree or two of static timing that I wasn't originally aware of, meaning all in I'm closer to 38*.

I'm going to check for sync and exhaust leaks, as well as adjust idle mixture tonight to see how it runs. May put off the follow up dyno until I have a handful of mains and airs (maybe the larger 38 mm venturis) to play with while I'm there.

From the "chasing multiple variable" files, if you lean out the mix at WOT (toward equilibrium of 14.7) the fuel charge will burn faster and you will need less advance.  I have not input as to the right amount of advance for your motor, but you might want to back it off a little to start as you make fuel changes.

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

17 minutes ago, kaptanoglu said:

From the "chasing multiple variable" files, if you lean out the mix at WOT (toward equilibrium of 14.7) the fuel charge will burn faster and you will need less advance.  I have not input as to the right amount of advance for your motor, but you might want to back it off a little to start as you make fuel changes.

Thanks and understood - I believe 36* is relatively safe given all of the curves I've seen lately, but will start around 33 or 34 and go up from there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I'm guessing Chris meant .045 inches, not .45 mm (which is only .018 of an inch).

.75 mm = .030" (which is not excessive)

Misplaced decimal point and lack of increments make it confusing.

Indeed. Thanks.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

1 hour ago, kaptanoglu said:

14.7 is way too lean for WOT operation, and good luck maintaining 14.7 AFR under any driving conditions. Ideal for higher RPM operations at WOT (say, >5K RPMs) is 12.5.

• Like 1

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

5 hours ago, revolve40 said:

I seem to have eliminated my high rpm stumble by putting my MSD 8mm wires back in. Not sure if a coincidence or not, but it helped.

Did you use the MSD universal plug wire kit? They don't seem to have a set for the 02.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga