• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2.3L Stroker Dyno Results and Power Discussion

revolve40

Results: ~146 rwhp/140 rwhtq

Just got back from a quick dyno session to see what kind of power I'm making. Obviously, dyno results differ from dyno to dyno, but food for thought. I'm running a bit rich through the curve (around 11), but consistent, so maybe an opportunity to play with jetting. I don't want to sacrifice drivability, so not sure if I'll play with it or not. Any thoughts? 

Also experiencing a slight misfire right around 6000... mixture too rich for spark?

Specs:

• 2.3L with S14 short block running around 9.3-9.5:1 CR
  • E12 head 47mm intake/39mm exhaust SS valves
  • Schrick 304
  • Larger Stahl 4 to 1 header (2.5" collector and exhaust)
  • Weber 45's (165 main / 170 air / F16 e-tubes / 65f9 idle / 36 choke / 45 pump jet)
  • Bosch red coil with 123 ignition bluetooth distributor (all in timing of 36* @ 2500 rpm)
  • About 600' above sea level and was about 85*F, 45% humidity
  • 93 octane pump gas
  • Dyno Dynamics dynamometer

IMG_7514.thumb.jpeg.d81e3d26a8005c8578b8b08aa99dd5a5.jpeg

IMG_3299.thumb.jpeg.20d08f6b947d9a1e3231525f06867d01.jpeg

IMG_9466.jpeg

Edited by revolve40
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

Shocked. I would think you would be 160+ on that setup, but what do I know.

How much for the build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was hoping for about 160. With some additional tuning I might get there. Not sure how much of an impact an AFR of 12.5 vs. 11 will have.

It was enough.

Edited by revolve40

1 hour ago, Drosselhebel said:

Probably needs bigger chokes to go much further. I'd suggest trying 38mm on the existing jetting and see how it leans out.

Good thought. I'll definitely consider this, especially as it runs and drives great throughout all ranges - I'd rather not mess with the jetting too much.

43 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

I am assuming you have heavy enough springs for the cam? Internet dyno folks say dual springs .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running the Schrick heavy duty single springs; what they and the shop recommend for this cam.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, revolve40 said:

Results: ~146 rwhp/140 rwhtq

Just got back from a quick dyno session to see what kind of power I'm making. Obviously, dyno results differ from dyno to dyno, but food for thought. I'm running a bit rich through the curve (around 11), but consistent, so maybe an opportunity to play with jetting. I don't want to sacrifice drivability, so not sure if I'll play with it or not. Any thoughts? 

Also experiencing a slight misfire right around 6000... mixture too rich for spark?

11:1 is super rich, particularly at higher RPMs. You should definitely be looking for mid-12s for the last 1K RPMs before redline.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

4 hours ago, revolve40 said:

I'm running the Schrick heavy duty single springs; what they and the shop recommend for this cam.

Per note above, that 11:1 a/f ratio is likely dragging-down your power numbers. And, I’ll add that in my experience, a Schrick 304 typically shows peak HP between 6,700 and 7,000 RPM (so, run it up there, if the rest of your build is up to it). As for valve springs, share the numbers measured on the seat and on the nose (at installed height), and @TobyB (!) will let you know if they’re in the neighborhood. -KB