71bmr02

oil pipe sealing

9 posts / 291 viewsLast Reply

Is there a better way to seal the oil delivery pipe from the pump to the main oil galley rather than using the orange o rings from bmw?

Gale H

Sure, you could thread both sides and make a screw connection or weld it, but whats the problem with the oem way? it worked for the entire production run for the m10 and m30 engines. 

That is not the “oil delivery” pipe.  The oil is fed into the block through a passage immediately next to the bolt that holds the pump to the block on the left side of the engine.  The tube you are referring to is for the oil pressure relief valve.  Why do you think you need to find a better way to seal it?

I'm in the process of renewing the gaskets and crank seal for the timing cover and was just wonder if there may be better materials to seal the pipe.  no particular problem other than maintenance to cure leaky gaskets.  

12 minutes ago, 71bmr02 said:

no particular problem other than maintenance to cure leaky gaskets.  

If the leaks are to the ground, that joint is not the problem!

No leaks on the ground so i cant use that as an indicator of when to add oil, just a bit nasty looking around timing cover so I thought it would be a good time to renew the gaskets, chain rail, guide etc.   Is there a spec on the diameter of the nose of the pulley where it mates with the seal.  I know there is for the rear main contact of the crank but I havnt found one for the pulley contact.

I have found that the o- rings do tend to blow out

when the relief valve sticks (which they do)

IF

you don't pay attention to the way the tube fits into the groove in the pump.

The bypass tube went through a couple of production changes

over the years, and I suspect the factory also changed its castings, too.

So prefit the pump and tube without the o- ring that goes into the pump, and make sure

that it's a good fit AND will hold that o- ring well below the surface of the pump casting.

Then the o- ring works just fine.

t