• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

<OT> Bavaria question

DavidLMM

Mike S suggested I try here -

Anyone have a photo of how the jack and lug wrench store in a 3/73 Bavaria? I've tried just about every orientation I can think of, and the hole in the jack just doesn't line up with the studs at the rear. Also, should there be an adapter ring under the clamping plate that retains the wheel? We have two plates, but no ring. RealOEM diagrams indicate there might be one, but it gives no description or part number. The clamping plates (there are two) seem to be notched to accommodate the lug wrench, but, when sandwiched and on the center stud, there are not enough threads for the nut. And the plates' notches do not match up to the center-hub lip. This is an all-original, 1 owner Ceylon automatic car with less than 25K on it. We're trying to keep it as complete and original as possible - the original spare has never been on the ground. The car has been converted for use with hand controls, which we are documenting, removing, and saving. It's a time capsule.

Thanks,

David 

IMG_20190613_080858731.jpg

• Like 2

David,

I haven’t looked in a Bavaria’s trunk since about 1978, so what I say may be nonsense!

First off, have you scoured the original Owner’s handbook for photos of the trunk?  Have you looked at ads for original Bavaria sales brochures or road tests, or, even better, actual sales brochures or road tests?  Recall that the answer for the Bavaria could well be the same as the answer for the 2500 and 2800 before the Bavaria, and the 3.0S after the Bavaria.

The rectangular spare wheel hold down used on 1966-1974 ‘02’s is, similarly, rectangular and notch to grasp the edges of the spare wheel’s center bore.  I wonder if you’re simply looking at two spare wheel hold-downs.  Never mind the unusual plated finish on the ‘02 hold-down shown below; most were painted black.

Second, a threaded stud, protruding upward from the trunk floor adjacent to the spare wheel well, was used to hold ‘02 jacks before 1974. Is there any possibility the Bavaria takes a similar approach — there appear to be multiple candidates? The moveable arm on the jack has a hole to fit over the threaded stud.

That’s all I’ve got!

Regards,

Steve

OOPS: others got here first, with better information no less!

0A3DA0EA-CDB1-439D-81DC-F3D4952E4D34.jpeg

066E0718-8B34-48AA-B571-504B35FB5DA5.jpeg

1D9F05E0-F8D8-43EF-8066-86DDCE8B0802.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

15 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

Just another fine point on the jack. "Early" jacks had a "nut" which you turned with the lug wrench, the later models had the integrated arm.

Ted,

I’ve long assumed that the jack’s built-in crank handle arrived with the square taillights, so 1974. But — to be honest — I don’t actually know when the jacks graduated from (a.) a hex bolt for the lug nut wrench to (b.) a crank handle.  I must admit the jack in the original post looks pretty darned pristine, matching the original rim in tidiness.  Is there any possibility the crank handle was available by March 1973?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Have made some headway. Yesterday, I thought the jack was bottomed-out, but it still had a bit to go. Now, ALL the way down, and with the crank UP, the hole slips over the left stud, and the crank nut rests on the wiring harness, so it won't rattle. With the crank down, it will not really fit without forcing. The notches on the clamping plates do not match the centerbore of the wheel, but RealOEM shows an adapter ring, but no P/N. The manual is no help - shows tools in use, says they are stored under the left trunk board, but that's it. Google Image searches have yielded nothing. We have the washers, nuts and wingnuts - all still nicely zinc plated, almost no wear.

David

Hi David,

I don't think you can get away with informing us of this 1-owner, under 25K mile, time capsule Ceylon E3 and not post a pic of anything beyond an admittedly mint looking spare tire well :)

Please post at least one pic each of the exterior, interior, and engine bay.

Thanks,

Gary

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1