achman

2002tii Suspension gurus wanted

18 posts / 463 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

Hello all

I had some used "Korman 1/2 drop" springs installed before The Vintage, and as some of you saw, they were obviously NOT the correct springs. The front end sat way way too high.

"I didn't know they made AWD 2002Tii?"

"How do you get it in the garage?"

...and other choice comments.

So I have given up, no more used mystery springs.

I know the hot setup for a street-driven 2002 which might do an occasional easy autox is HandR sport springs with Bilstein HDs.

I also know Bilstein HDs are NLA or out of stock for the past two years with no current arrival time. 

SO: What do I go with instead?

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Products/Cars/1145-Sport-Kit-(Yellow)/

Koni sports with Eibach springs?

Koni Sports with HandR springs?

Something else I am not familiar with?

Please don't tell me "custom coil overs for $3500" or stay with stock suspension.

I want the car 1/2-1.25" lower, slightly stiffer, and better handling. The bushings are all new stock.

Thanks for your help

Brian and "Gerta"

Edited by achman

Koni Sport shocks are very good- and have a lifetime warranty.

I prefer them to the Bilstones.

Springs are just springs.  I forget the stock rating, but #200 lbs/ inch front and rear

with a nice beefy sway bar set is a good starting place for the street.

t

• Like 2

Are you sure you had front and rear springs at their proper ends with your nose high car?  They are kinda easy to mix up...

I'll probably get jumped on for this, but before the proliferation of aftermarket springs, the tried and true method of lowering one's car was to cut a coil or so out of the stock springs.  Not ideal, but the price is right!

Another economical way to lower your car--if yours is a 73 or newer:  find a set of stock springs from a '68-72 car--they're about an inch shorter than the 73-76 stock springs.  In order to meet Federal bumper heights in 73 and subsequent years, BMW simply fitted taller springs.  Substituting the earlier springs, removing the spacer atop the front strut and using a 1 or 2 dot rear upper spring pad will make a significant difference in ride height, basically giving you what the Euro cars got all along.

As for shocks--dunno if they're still available in the US, but DeCarbon (French brand) were the folks that invented gas shocks, and licensed the procedure to Bilstein.  You might try doing a search for that brand.  I've had a set of DeCarbons on the rear of my '69 since around 1974 or so and they're still functioning as advertised.  Even had to replace the mounting bushings as they wore out, but the shocks didn't!

That's all I've got...

mike

• Like 1

I've experienced the 4x4 2002 comments as well - I found that my car had rear springs in the front. Evidently they're not that different and could get switched if someone wasn't paying attention. On top of that my rear springs are some stock factory heavy duty towing springs - what the previous owner intended with this is beyond me. I've bought some IE stage 1 springs (the car had Bilstein HDs on it when I got it) that I'll be putting on it once I get other things sorted out first.

You CAN send a used set of Bilsteins to Poway and they will rebuild them.........it may take 6 months, but they will do it for about the same price as new.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Einspritz said:

You CAN send a used set of Bilsteins to Poway and they will rebuild them.........it may take 6 months, but they will do it for about the same price as new.

If only I could find a used set of Bilstein HDs...

I am very happy with my H&Rs, much better handling than the IE Stage 1 Springs which were only slightly better than stock Tii Springs.

Get the big IE Sway-bars with poly bushings, the stock Tii sway bars are spindly by comparison.

For Shocks & Struts, I currently run Bilstein HDs which are aging well. My M3 has Konis and I am very happy with them on that car. On my first 2002, back in 1989, I ran Boges and they were fantastic.

My formula for any 2002 is H&R springs, big sway bars, IE or Roger's TII & Billy HDs, Koni or Boge struts & shocks. 

Aren't the Bilstein Sport shocks the ones that are not available?

On a related subject, I installed a set of new HDs and some Vogtland springs on my '73 last Saturday. I got the HDs some time ago from someone with an abandoned project. I used Vogtlands because they were FREE! Haven't tested the car yet, but will do so this weekend. Still need to get some sway bars, because the car does not even have a front one.At any rate, it will feel loads better than with the old blown shocks. The car had Eibach springs up front with stock (one of them broken) springs out back. Go figure..

Anyone with experience with Vogtlands?

• Like 1

I called Bilstein about the availability of HD shocks back in January of this year and they said they were not discontinued, and that they would be available again this April.  Well, April has passed and they still do not show on the websites of our top vendors (Blunttech, Roger's, etc.).  Maybe they are trickling in, but worth calling Blunt and hear what he knows.

5 minutes ago, chago997 said:

I called Bilstein about the availability of HD shocks back in January of this year and they said they were not discontinued, and that they would be available again this April.  Well, April has passed and they still do not show on the websites of our top vendors (Blunttech, Roger's, etc.).  Maybe they are trickling in, but worth calling Blunt and hear what he knows.

I called them too. This is what I got:

"Currently all front shocks are on back-order in the US and Germany. Production is expected on some of the available part numbers but they could not give me a timeline on when. "