sam1904

76 2002 Inlet manifold 'block off plate'

9 posts / 299 viewsLast Reply

Noticed this (A) last night and did not have a chance to pull it off and see what lies behind - also a little worried about the dubious looking studs and if I take it off will I get it back on....

Is this a cover up of a left over emissions control item?

Any reason I cant pull the three bolts/studs (B) and make a flat block off plate and locate on the 4 M6 bolt holes on that face (C)

IM2.JPG

I’m assuming yours is a ‘76 California version. That is a remnant of the thermal reactor exhaust manifold system. It’s obviously no longer in use: install a blanking plate!

Someone used to sell a blanking plate for precisely this purpose. Perhaps it was IE?  🤔

Regards,

Steve

And FYI, the two 6mm threaded holes marked "C" on your picture are to hold one of the three brackets that originally located and held the OEM air cleaner.  With the small air cleaner you're using, a PO most likely removed 'em as they'd be in the way and served no useful function.

mike

A better question would be "why is your brake/clutch fluid reservoir tucked under your air cleaner?"  Needs to go back to its home on the driver's side inner fender.

Mark92131

19760036.jpg

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

A better question would be "why is your brake/clutch fluid reservoir tucked under your air cleaner?"  Needs to go back to its home on the driver's side inner fender.

Mark92131

19760036.jpg

A good question indeed! I temporarily tucked it over there to get it out of the way as I was cleaning and wrapping the wiring harness behind it.

Don't worry - it is back in its correct place now!

• Like 1

get a roll of gasket paper at auto parts store and cut if to fit the outside diameter of plate and only  make holes in the paper for the mounting bolts. That will stop a vacuum leak. Or you can keep it as is if the big bolt in the center has thread sealer to prevent vacuum leak.

Or you can drill and tap it for a nitrous setup... I think it makes sense, this way you don’t have to pull it apart later :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1