M10, S14 & M20 6 Speed Adapter Plates with How-To Guide

To save your bacon with machine shops, suggest the final length dimension be given in lieu of "machine off" dimension.   From experience when there is a mistake, shop says "I took off 15mm"  but no way to prove because the 15mm is all on the floor in shavings.  Final length can be measured after the work is done.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from a 2500 mile trip to the French Pyrenees using my M20 6-speed setup, without issue ( see 02 beauty shots thread). I have been continuing with this M10 project. I have finalised the p

How-To Guide now on Page 3 of this thread.   Evening All Every few months on here I see the same threads about how increasingly expensive and unobtainium 5 speeds are. That’s not to men

Pictures to go with this.    

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm interested, but I have two requests:

1. Aforementioned concentricity confirmed.  Particularly on an M10
  2. Empty M10 block with motor mounts fitted with the S1 trans to see exactly where everything would land.

I have an Automatic 2002 so I think the width would not be a problem.  Just wondering on depth and height to that steering link w/the block bolted up.

Thanks!  Let us know!

Hi all, and Happy New Year.

I am in the process of installing a fresh rebuilt S14 in a freshly restored '73 2002 body.  I was contemplating upgrading the transmission when I heard of the RX-8.  I am very interested in getting this 6 speed manual installed.

Where can I order an adapter plate for my project?

Thank you

Shawn

Edited by [email protected]
5 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Hi all, and Happy New Year.

I am in the process of installing a fresh rebuilt S14 in a freshly restored '73 2002 body.  I was contemplating upgrading the transmission when I heard of the RX-8.  I am very interested in getting this 6 speed manual installed and I can certainly help with the fabrication of the adapter plate or any other parts.  I own a metal company (www.idsmetals.com) granted we custom fabricate Stairs and rails, however we use CAD on daily basis and I have access to machine shops in my area.  Let me know how I can help, or if you already got this situated, let me know where I can order one of the adapter plates?

Thank you

Shawn

Send a message to “camperman”

Have you verified the concentricity of the crank and transmission is to industry standard since you are selling the adapters ?

Have you managed to find out what the "industry standard" for an S1 and S2 Mazda RX8 transmission concentricity is yet?

Fortunately I have had someone independently measure the concentricity for me @Markw a capable machinist and mainly E21 rally car driver has the below to say.

"I have offered the bellhousing up to my spare block this morning to check the alignment.

All bolts lined up without fettleing and initial readings were 20 thou TIR (Total Indicator Reading), i.e. 10 thou out. A quick adjustment with a rubber mallet and it's now concentric to within 3 thou TIR i.e. 1.5 thou out.

I've had the plate on and off half a dozen times to make clearance for the starter and rechecked everything afterwards, and I'm still measuring about 3 thou TIR (1.5 thou out)

Pictures attached. 

Regards

Mark

P.S. If you want to repost the pictures, go ahead."

So its been confirmed to be exactly what I said originally, less than 0.25mm (10thou) whether this meets your industry standard is up to you.

20200106_120519.thumb.jpg.663f4b95d1c083ae8dbe3da7df3f4728.jpg

20200106_120506.thumb.jpg.a0ebbbda8e5563235b44b6831fa41ef5.jpg

20200106_120545.thumb.jpg.257c5d36de229dc1348cd86c3a7dfcda.jpg

Edited by camperman

Further to this @Markw has also gone a different way with the clutch throw out by using a hydraulic release bearing which might be of interest to people. As I have stated there are different solutions to the clutch release. He also clearanced the starter with a hole cutter.

20191109_113453.jpg.33bf33c476c702d7b8e5919f600ca984.jpg

20200106_170442.thumb.jpg.5daf4b687ffc7b415febeef81d320b7d.jpg

Edited by camperman
  • Like 1

.020 total runout is way out of spec in my opinion. The fact there is enough slop in the product to change the TIR that much says something. 

.007 TIR maximum is what I use and the .003 TIR that your customer achieved is great. 

It sounds like everyone that buys this product should be verifying and correcting the concentricity, in my opinion of course.

This transmission option sounds like a fun choice for a 2002

Edited by Lorin