21 posts / 700 viewsLast Reply

hi,i am after a nice silver dash cluster for my 1967 1600-2 that i am rebuilding,someone painted my one black and it will not clean up.i have all the correct gages.cheers keven mosen

Be advised that the 1600 speedometer is specific to the 1600; the internal gears are different from those used in a 2002 and won't give you even close to actual readings.  1600 diff = 4.11; 2002 diff = 3.64.  

Also, your 1600 most likely came with a clock vs a tach; in the US, only 2002 automatics had a clock.

mike

If your car is a 67, you instrument cluster is unique to the 66-67 in that the electrical gauges are 6v unless it was converted to 12v. Furthermore, the 66-67 cluster does not have the brake warning light. The odometer reset knob is metal vs. plastic on the later cars. You’re not going to find the silver cluster in a factory finish that has not faded by now. Just disassemble the cluster and repaint it. It is no big deal. Take a look at pics of the 66-67 clusters on the internet. 

hi,thanks for getting back re my nov.1967 1600-2  it is a 12 volt,they went to 12 volt around august 67 .yes its only a rebuild but i would like to keep the car as original as i can. i have been involved with the b m w cars for over 30 odd years cheers keven

(edited)
5 hours ago, keven james mosen said:

hi,thanks for getting back re my nov.1967 1600-2  it is a 12 volt,they went to 12 volt around august 67 .yes its only a rebuild but i would like to keep the car as original as i can. i have been involved with the b m w cars for over 30 odd years cheers keven

But as Slavs says, the silver finish on the bezel is paint over black plastic — if I recall. (I’m guessing yours, now, is black paint, over the original silver paint, over black plastic. Assuming that’s correct, re-painting it with a satin silver spray paint would probably be an effective restoration method.

Most of the used examples I’ve seen in recent years (decades?) are.... patina’d, which is fine if you’re looking for an example with patina.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

hi Steve,thanks for your input re silver dash,it looks like i will have to very carefully paint my one.they have a very fine patten on the face, too much paint and the patten will dissapear cheers keven

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keven james mosen said:

...too much paint and the patten will dissapear...

+1

Agreed!

Regards,

Steve

18 hours ago, keven james mosen said:

Can’t tell where you live without that info in your signature or profile but if in the US you have a 1968, the VIN will confirm this.

(edited)
46 minutes ago, HBChris said:

Can’t tell where you live without that info in your signature or profile but if in the US you have a 1968, the VIN will confirm this.

Exactly, Chris. 

If it’s a U.S.-spec car, it’s likely a VIN 1561xxx example. But many of the “1967 model” attributes — chrome-trimmed dashboards, triangular cut-outs in the luggage compartment bulkheads, two-spoke steering wheels, silver instrument bezel, etc. — carried over into the early 1968 cars, particularly in September, October, and even November of 1967.

(Of course, if it’s a Euro-spec car, some of these attributes, e.g., the chrome-trimmed dashboard, continued far beyond November 1967....)

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

hi Steve,i am from new zealand,my car is a r/hand drive and was built in germany 7th nov. 1967 chassis1550465.it does have the cut outs,chromed trim dash,two spoke s/wheel and silver bezel.all the best keven ps there was only one 6 volt 1600-2 that came to new zealand,

They  can be re-mirrored. Shops that do re-mirror Headlight reflectors can do that.
I also have a spare but not cheap....

hi thanks for your mail,thats a good idea i have had headlamp reflectors done in the passed do you have a photo of your one and the cost.cheers keven

While we're at the topic, there are also two different grains in the structure on the dash insert. IIRC it changed when the upper part of the three piece dash changed.