al2002tnz

Turbo front valence stripe

11 posts / 546 viewsLast Reply

Was this a single decal piece or two parts, who stocks OEM version ?

(edited)

Last time I checked they only sold the entire stripe kit as a complete unit.  There was a problem with them showing up with the colors not matching (different ages and dye lots)  This may have changed but I got a complete kit 12-13 years ago that was ordered as individual part numbers and there was some serious color differences when I finally went to use them 3-4 years later.  By that time the only way I could get a stripe kit was to order a complete set, 1 part number. 

The front stripe is 2 pieces like Tom said,  and it does not come with the reverse script 2002 TURBO

Edited by Preyupy
  • Like 1

Since I heretofore have driven my car a lot, the front stripe became all rock chipped, so i had the colors matched then painted the graphic on.

Sure, it won't hold up to close scrutiny, but was a good thing to do at the time 30 years ago.

I bought a full set of stripes at the same time so have those "in reserve", though I don't know about the longevity of the adhesive.

What i would do now is apply the applique then spray a coating of Armor Coat:

https://www.armorcoatusa.com/

I have used this product on my other cars' front bumper cover for over a decade and it has held up without yellowing, and if you didn't know it was on, you wouldn't know it was on from 5 feet.

Something to consider if you intend to drive your car a lot in real world situations.

Does anyone have an original set of the side stripes, I am keen to see if the Blue next to Purple is light or dark blue and also if the word turbo is in light blue or purple color, I have seen various versions and keen to know which is actually correct ? 

A7F0594E-2579-48F9-9AE9-CF28F699B68B.jpeg

8D6E3F7D-BB3A-49DC-92FD-CA663D98458B.png

952B8330-3628-4291-AB5F-90D4DF44FD82.png

PB294296.thumb.JPG.cacbdf458a1e7df32c0b522cd3edfd40.JPG

I have a full set of stripes purchased in the '80s.

Should I be concerned that the adhesive is no longer effective?

thanks

Both the adhesive and the vinyl are subject to the ravages of time.  I have some sheets of motorsport striping that I got back in the late 70's and tried to use some of it a couple of years ago.  In a couple of places it cracked when I tried to unroll it and the adhesive is not very strong. 

I have a Turbo Stripe Kit that I bought back in 02-03 and I discovered the dye lots were different from one piece to the other.  BMW sold the pieces individually and this kit was made up by ordering each piece by number.  In 2009 when I was ready to install it on the car is when I discovered the color problems.  At that time I was told the only way to buy a stripe kit was as a complete kit just for this reason.   

What book is that with the turbo information?

Just remember, while comprehensive, not everything is correct or accurate.........e.g. "Air entered the turbocharger through a pipe that ran back from the intake in the front spoiler."

if he had just LOOKED at the picture, he would have noted that it is a cooling duct for the turbocharger.

Note that with all the "references" and magazine articles there is SO much "borrowing" from other published works without actual experience with the cars.

• Thanks 1