Slavs

New Michelin Airless Tires

8 posts / 461 viewsLast Reply

Well, for some of you guys who have been doing your best to eliminate the pneumatic tires all together this may be a dream come true. Yes, recently I suggested that some people will increase their wheel size to a point where they will no longer need pneumatic tires, but rather just a rubber band around the wheel. Michelin pioneered pneumatic tires and is now trying to to away with them. But, their new airless tires don't look very appealing. What is going to happen to them and the wheel balance in general when dirt gets stuck inside the rubber. And, there is no way that ride comfort will improve. Can you imagine something like this on an 02 ? these things look both, problematic and ugly.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/michelin-gm-air-tires-passenger-163200785.html

• Like 1

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Slavs said:

Well, for some of you guys who have been doing your best to eliminate the pneumatic tires all together this may be a dream come true. Yes, recently I suggested that some people will increase their wheel size to a point where they will no longer need pneumatic tires, but rather just a rubber band around the wheel. Michelin pioneered pneumatic tires and is now trying to do away with them. But, their new airless tires don't look very appealing. What is going to happen to them and the wheel balance in general when dirt gets stuck inside the rubber. And, there is no way that ride comfort will improve. Can you imagine something like this on an 02 ? these things look both, problematic and ugly.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/michelin-gm-air-tires-passenger-163200785.html

Edited by Slavs

It's a prototype we'll see how it works out, I'd think that the v shaped supports between the carcass and the tread would flex and reject mud and snow. I'm not a huge tree huger but the idea of a 100% recyclable tire made on a 3d printer that can't go flat and is highly resistant to road hazard damage is pretty appealing.    

I refuse to own something called a "tweel" on general principle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They've had those for a while...

And where's the off topic police?

Well, Maybe somebody can now build that ultimate M10 "Stroker" motor and install it in a Bobcat with these wheels. I've seen the Datsun L16  used in forklifts, so why not an 02 in a Bobcat ?

Actually, the common Datsun forklift motor's the H20, which is an R16 stroked out to 2 liters, but without the cool U20 sohc head that they made for the 2l roadster...

As to 'Tweels', we have them on the golf carts at work.  They sound funny.

t

in before lock