Chippy

Spectacular blinker problem

11 posts / 443 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

Well, the '02 has developed a problem.  Let's see if anyone has any ideas!

- Occasionally the blinker light would come on and stay on - not flashing

- I could remedy the problem by engaging the blinker stalk and going back to off position

- Then one day, blinkers didn't work at all

- Pulled relay. Looks like new inside. Huh...

- Couple weeks pass, not driving car

- Neighbor mentions he saw my blinker going crazy while car was parked

- Sure enough, the relay is going nuts - blinking probably 250-300 times per minute

- Electrical is my favorite. Oh joy!

- Deactivated battery

- Can't find any obvious wiring problems

- Looked at switch. All is normal.

What do you guys think has rendered me in this less than ideal situation? Where to start?

Edited by Chippy
Just cleaning up post.

Check and clean all your grounds.  95% of the time it is the culprit.   A lot of threads on this very issue. 

Shucks, I did search, but no luck some how. Thanks for the tip. Will check into this...

I had strange issues with my hazard switch, all forms of gremlins. Check ground first.

Your turn signal flasher is powered through the emergency flasher switch.  The former works only with the ignition on, while the emergency flasher works with the ign off.  Thus a worn or boogered up (scientific term!) emergency flasher switch can feed current to the turn signals even with the ignition off.  I suspect a funky emergency flasher switch--that's where I'd look first.  They're surprisingly complicated inside...

mike

• Like 4

I  chased a similar issue only to find that the fuse on the signal circuit had unseated and arced out...  Cleaned the contacts tightened/closed up the seating span and all was well.

Maybe worth a shot.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:27 PM, Dudeland said:

Check and clean all your grounds.  95% of the time it is the culprit.   A lot of threads on this very issue. 

+1 

Sounds like a ground problem.  Be sure the terminals on the blinker relay and plug are clean.  Also check the grounds at the actual lights themselves.  The front ones in particular have a habit of getting all corroded from the gasket on the light housing failing...also if you have rust holes in the fender sheet metal behind the front blinker then water can splash into the light from the tire.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 7:29 PM, Chippy said:

Shucks, I did search, but no luck some how. Thanks for the tip. Will check into this...

I know sometimes I struggle with the search function,  no biggie. 

The typical answer to any electrical problem: check your grounds. Truth is that that can often be the root of the problem. However, have you tried a different relay? Otherwise, it sounds like you have a leak somewhere in that circuit-  not a short to ground, but a short that is increasing the resistance in that circuit causing the relay to go bonkers.

I'm chiming in here with a question and then a comment about my 69 2002.

1) what year is your car?  There were multiple changes made from 66-76 if you include the 1600.

2) The turn signals worked but my dash indicator didn't when I put my 69 back together.  I removed the flasher relay and couldn't find anything blatantly wrong inside. I substituted a relay from a 71 parts car and the contact points chattered constantly.  When I reinstalled the old 69 relay, the dash indicator started working.  All grounds and wire ends/terminals were cleaned during the restoration. I added a ground wire from the cluster to the metal dash. Car operated fine all the way down and back to Vintage Asheville last month.

Just the other day, when pulling into my garage, I could hear the flasher relay working, but the stalk wasn't moved. This only happened for about 10 seconds. No lights were blinking.  The emergency switch works fine.  Weird. I wonder if my relay is acting up again.

(edited)

Hello guys. Just to update, I believe the problem was in the hazard switch.

After pulling it apart, I discovered the little arm that travels through the in/out channel was bent. I bent it back into place, put it together, and everything has been ok with the blinkers since. Knocking on wood. I'll report back in a couple weeks.

@jgerock It's a '72 !

Edited by Chippy