• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

76 BMW 2002, SOLD

Bill Meyer

The money previously spent restoring a '02 is a genuine consideration for the buyer. When I bought mine, I factored in the expertly recovered seats, the new carpet with dynamat underneath, the fresh engine rebuild, the new windshield and rear glass gaskets, the new belt line trim, the new reflectors, the new bumpers, the new license plate lights, the Euro turn signals, the working a/c, the quality repaint that had been done, etc.  Therefore, there were fewer items on the to do list, the car looked great and it was certainly a pleasure to drive. The previous work done to my '02 was worth spending extra money for, even if the return to the seller wasn't dollar for dollar. As always, one needs to inspect the car and find themselves an honest, reasonable seller! The transaction was a win-win per both of us...

So, Bill, I don't have a problem with your asking price. The market will decide anyhow. Your 2002 does have an awful lot going for it, so GLWS!

FranzPVGP2018.jpg

Edited by Jim_75Sahara
  • Like 2

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Bill GLWS as I hope you get all you can for her, as it will make me feel better for the amount of work I have already put into my original paint “10 footer”. But the thought of spending the kind of money you must have into it to make it look like this scares me. Mine has the e21 Recaros, the H&R springs and Bilstein Sports also, have also just done the 5 speed conversion that makes a world of difference to it. Again good luck and I will be watching BAT for this.ADDBA6F7-6B57-4091-ABB5-8F2A588E1955.thumb.jpeg.1e99af1aa326d243f07f1fd7042954ac.jpegD343D215-99B1-4DE8-936D-0E772387292C.thumb.jpeg.e2705c6b7fdbedab0028e2c7e3fc4617.jpeg14AE7274-8FCA-450A-A740-BB5F13A43A48.thumb.jpeg.322d743d2ad01d3f2890a2d871429e52.jpeg

• Like 1

You couldn't build this car for 40k. While some might think the price is high; I don't. Not for what you're getting. It's basically brand new. Full restorations can cost close to or over 100k. If you're looking for a fully-restored 02, this is a good deal. Everything is done!

Especially now, as solid starter cars that need a min amt of bodywork are upwards of 10K.

Bodywork +partial repaint on my very clean '74 tii that I bought for 20K will be about 14K alone, full repaint close to 20, so...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

6 hours ago, thinksound_mike said:

You couldn't build this car for 40k. While some might think the price is high; I don't. Not for what you're getting. It's basically brand new. Full restorations can cost close to or over 100k. If you're looking for a fully-restored 02, this is a good deal. Everything is done!

Totally agree  ..and even for those that do all the work themselves, the price of parts alone to do a car to this level could eclipse 40K.  

Obviously build costs and end value are two different things, but I'm hoping somebody can appreciate and see the value in what's here. 

As an owner of a 1975 2002, I have spent about $17,000 (including the car) I have owned the car for 3 years.

If I added:

Recaro seats, $2200.00 with adapters

Euro turn signals $700.00

Paint Job $7000.00

And the extra goodies, the $40,000 asking price is within range.

Edited by Mario Falfan
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Mario Falfan said:

As an owner of a 1975 2002, I have spent about $17,000 (including the car) I have owned the car for 3 years.

If I added:

Recaro seats, $2200.00 with adapters

Euro turn signals $700.00

Paint Job $7000.00

And the extra goodies, the $40,000 asking price is within range.

Thanks Mario, and paint work to this level is easily 20K today. 

The parts list on this car is just staggering, if I had a few hours with nothing to do I would add up the hundreds of receipts...

The auto '73 that I sold to Andy Stuckey had about 14K in labor and parts that I invested over the course of two and a half years. That was in addition to my original purchase price of 7K. The car still needed paint and a little bit of bodywork, the Recaro seats reupholstered, a new carpet and a 5 speed conversion done. If I'd kept it and painted it I also probably would have replaced a few more trim pieces that weren't quite on par with the rest. So I could have easily sunk another 20-odd K into the car to finish it and it still wouldn't have been as nice as yours as most of the trim was just clean and original and I hadn't replaced all of the rubber gaskets.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Incredible beauty.  I would like to know how many actual 02s exist in this condition. I'm biased :), as I have the same year and color 02 that I'm very slowly bringing back to life.  Seeing this example truly inspires me, and very glad that you posted it for some of us to enjoy. Nay sayers will always be around. IMO, this is worth every penny of asking price now but the investment value of this basically new 02, out of this world!..

JA

38 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Incredible beauty.  I would like to know how many actual 02s exist in this condition. I'm biased :), as I have the same year and color 02 that I'm very slowly bringing back to life.  Seeing this example truly inspires me, and very glad that you posted it for some of us to enjoy. Nay sayers will always be around. IMO, this is worth every penny of asking price now but the investment value of this basically new 02, out of this world!..

JA

Ask Barney...he's got a few

5 hours ago, iinca said:

..... before it goes to the BAT hounds

There are self anointed experts here, there, and everywhere.  What's gonna slow your roll with the BAT audience will likely be-as stated prior, is in CA you have to have a SMOG test for 1976 and newer cars. With CA being the 5th largest economy in the world, your target audience will seek other low lying fruits. Sadly. 

Being a self anointed expert myself I can add that with BAT you can set a reserve. Do not let the "account rep" at BAT strong arm you into lowering it if you do not want to. They are in this to make money and if it don;t sell they don't get 5%. I know cause my car which they insisted I lower the reserve, sold, yet the min was not met, but BAT kicked in the extra dough to push the sale through. For reference here is the car in question. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-bmw-2002-tiiturbo/  It sold at pretty much the cost. But I was happy to know it went to Simon Pagenaud. Managed to get a meet and greet and pit passes to the 2016 Races. SO all's well. In summary, NICE car, period. Maybe not for CA though. 

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know