• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diagnosis for backfire

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Recently removed the stock thermal reactor on my '75 and replaced it with a tii manifold. runs good, but i notice a muffled backfire when backing off. Is there a standard diagnosis for this?

thanks

Guest Anonymous

First thing I would do is check for an exhaust leak. I assume you had

quite a bit of it apart to swap out the manifold.

Guest Anonymous

did you re-use the old gaskets ? there's the cause if you answered YES .

do you have a metal sealing ring between the down pipe and front muffler joint next to the trans ?

it's an exhaust leak .

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys:

Yes, I did replace the gaskets. Somebody recommended replacing the studs too. Didn't do it, but should have. Changing out the maifold is a pretty crummy, dirty process. If one of the studs had broken off toward the end of the job, i would have been real unhappy.

Exhaust leak sounds logical. Had to saw the nuts off (ouch) the old down pipe connection and in doing so cut into the downpipe itself and had it mig welded. Replaced the doughnut between the resonator and the downpipe. Checked the whole thing at a friendly muffler shop and all seem ok. but its been on a couple of weeks now, probably should go back through, tighten everything up and check the weld.

Guest Anonymous

I just did the same on my 75. Getting that thermal reactor off was a

pain!, yet the Tii manifold went on like a charm (tip, attach downpipe

to exhaust manifold first).