• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

preserve or restore???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 72tii that has original paint, still shines but is worn through in a few spots on the high points of the hood and trunk and it dulls down when wet. Two small pinholes in lower valance and one in spare tire/car from southern cal. The car has 150k, rebuilt engine w/30k, new suspension, brakes, etc. Question for you all is; what is the best way to go restore and repaint, or leave it and just preserve it; only fix what breaks.

Guest Anonymous

IMHO keep it just the way it is. I personally LOVE original paint cars and wish both of mine had it still. Worn or not, you are looking at what the car was when it was new and I think that is EXTREMELY cool.

Talk to some paint experts maybe there is a way to bring back some of that old shine...

my 2 cents.

jason

Guest Anonymous

up over all those years is lost, it's gone forever (some of the highest auction values paid for vintage cars recently have been for "barn find", unrestored vehicles).

There's a sort of paralell issue too - a car that's "aged gracefully" over the years usually has a consistant cosmetic appearance in all areas - paint a bit worn, chrome & aluminum not quite perfect, lenses slightly faded. Once "restoration" is started, upgrading one area makes everything else look old and shabby - bumpers and bright metal trim that looked ok before look really dull, etc.

Guest Anonymous

There are plenty of candidates out there if you really want a car to restore. Find a car that really NEEDS paint if you want to go the resto route.

Karl

Guest Anonymous

is good if you want to take great care of the car and not allow those worn spots to turn into rust cancer. If you plan on driving it daily and in all kinds of weather, a re-finish is an inevitable reality to keep from losing her to rot.

Guest Anonymous

...that was parked in 1941, then only given enough repairs to get it running.

It was driven at 40 mph more than 70 miles each way to the "Orphan Car Show" in Ypsilanti, MI where is was an absolute crowd pleaser. Rusty and worn, it bears the patina of it's age. The owner, a well known and knowledgeable antique car restorer, will never "restore" it, merely "conserve" it as-is.

There are new classes at most events, including Pebble Beach, for unrestored cars like this, and despite the seeming wear, the car is far more valuable if left to age gracefully.

If you've ever seen "Antiques Roadshow," and seen where someone's well intentioned efforts to refinish an antique chest, or polish a brass lamp has devalued it by 50%, the same applies here.

It takes great restraint to resist the temptation to repaint an original car, but, it only gets to be original once.

If you want a driver, sell this one and get a driver.

I have "conserved" my '73tii, and even though it isn't stock or original, it sports a twenty-year old paint job that still shines, and no accessories are newer than 1983.

Cheers!

Delia

Guest Anonymous

a good buff job does wonder, Karl has a beautiful swartz (sp?) (black) 02 and posted before and after, like two different cars! The after is just beautiful. If the paint is all there except for small areas keep it like that. After buffing, apply a sealer wax every three months.