tiiswit

Recommendation needed for painter

4 posts / 491 viewsLast Reply

I need a recommendation for a Seattle area paint shop for my ‘72 VW Panel Bus.  Not a show car, but just had some metal work done and it is time to protect and preserve this bus.  I’ll do most of the prep to keep the cost down, and thought that this group might have a few ideas.  Shop that did the most recent work on my tii has relocated out of town and is no longer an option.  Anyone know of a cost effective but quality shop/painter?  Thanks, Chris.

Hey Chris,

I've got a 86 Vanagon and my mechanic Eion recommended Scott below. I haven't called him yet to address some seam rust on my van, but he comes highly recommended. Not sure if he does paint but I'm sure he could provide suggestions.  

IMG_20190207_165904.thumb.jpg.a670fd9e59bb3569c45551d3d66b902f.jpg

Also, Patrick at Midnight Motorsports recommends American.

https://americanautopaintingandbody.com/

Report back on who you end up going with, I'll eventually need paint work on both the van and my 02. 

James

There's a guy in Bellingham, Ryan Short, that is known for painting VWs.  He's worked at body shops and has had his own shop, but I don't know what his current situation is.  I don't have any direct experience with him, just ran across his name when I was looking for a painter.  From my research, if you are willing to go an hour or two away from Seattle, paint jobs get a lot less expensive.  Let us know what you end up doing.

Thanks, guys.  I also spoke with Patrick and will call Junior at American next week, and will report back on that suggestion.  Thanks, also for the tip on Ryan; I will follow up on that as well.  Incidentally, the flatbed driver who transported my bus back from Ted’s (Adkins-metalwork genius) space out at Racecraft to my house also suggested American Auto Paint in Renton.  I like hearing good things...

I will spend a little time stripping and doing some initial prep, so it may be a week or three before this makes it to a shop for new paint, but I will report back on the experience.  Thanks, again, all.

1068DA4F-E515-41D5-AB1F-0DFD2D13BA21.jpeg

D7246B2B-3358-41DF-816E-EF8E9BEFEDB4.jpeg

61F16BC8-018B-4F61-B81A-4412F92AFE89.jpeg

DC328810-0673-486E-9FDB-2D8464D5118E.jpeg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.