• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendation needed for painter

tiiswit

I need a recommendation for a Seattle area paint shop for my ‘72 VW Panel Bus.  Not a show car, but just had some metal work done and it is time to protect and preserve this bus.  I’ll do most of the prep to keep the cost down, and thought that this group might have a few ideas.  Shop that did the most recent work on my tii has relocated out of town and is no longer an option.  Anyone know of a cost effective but quality shop/painter?  Thanks, Chris.

'73 tii VIN 2764196, born 6/18/1973

'76 24 Hours of Lemons racer (Team Hurling Moss)

'75 911S

'72 VW Panel Bus

Couple of daily drivers

Hey Chris,

I've got a 86 Vanagon and my mechanic Eion recommended Scott below. I haven't called him yet to address some seam rust on my van, but he comes highly recommended. Not sure if he does paint but I'm sure he could provide suggestions.  

IMG_20190207_165904.thumb.jpg.a670fd9e59bb3569c45551d3d66b902f.jpg

Also, Patrick at Midnight Motorsports recommends American.

https://americanautopaintingandbody.com/

Report back on who you end up going with, I'll eventually need paint work on both the van and my 02. 

James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

There's a guy in Bellingham, Ryan Short, that is known for painting VWs.  He's worked at body shops and has had his own shop, but I don't know what his current situation is.  I don't have any direct experience with him, just ran across his name when I was looking for a painter.  From my research, if you are willing to go an hour or two away from Seattle, paint jobs get a lot less expensive.  Let us know what you end up doing.

1971 2002ti

Thanks, guys.  I also spoke with Patrick and will call Junior at American next week, and will report back on that suggestion.  Thanks, also for the tip on Ryan; I will follow up on that as well.  Incidentally, the flatbed driver who transported my bus back from Ted’s (Adkins-metalwork genius) space out at Racecraft to my house also suggested American Auto Paint in Renton.  I like hearing good things...

I will spend a little time stripping and doing some initial prep, so it may be a week or three before this makes it to a shop for new paint, but I will report back on the experience.  Thanks, again, all.

1068DA4F-E515-41D5-AB1F-0DFD2D13BA21.jpeg

D7246B2B-3358-41DF-816E-EF8E9BEFEDB4.jpeg

61F16BC8-018B-4F61-B81A-4412F92AFE89.jpeg

DC328810-0673-486E-9FDB-2D8464D5118E.jpeg

'73 tii VIN 2764196, born 6/18/1973

'76 24 Hours of Lemons racer (Team Hurling Moss)

'75 911S

'72 VW Panel Bus

Couple of daily drivers

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors