• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nardi Steering Wheel Size?

adrift

Anyone out there with a Nardi steering wheel? What size wheel do you have?

I recently purchased a 360mm (14.1732") Nardi wheel, but feel as though it may be too small. I'm thinking about returning it for the 390mm (15.3543") wheel, as its much closer is size to the stock wheel on my 1975 2002, which I believe is larger than 400mm. Any input on which size is more common in 2002's, or why one might be preferable, other than a better turning radius with a smaller wheel? It's hard to tell without mounting and test driving. Thanks!

Ross

Edited by adrift

Sorry, no access to pics of my car for awhile.  I have the 390 mm Nardi, works pretty well for me and looks fine. Just very few occasions of a bit of slightly stiff turning (when not moving).

My tires are 195/55R15's. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

I have a 390mm Nardi Classic like the one in my post on page 3 in this thread.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/126575-steering-wheel-thread/

IMHO, a 370-380mm is the right steering wheel size but individual tastes different.  Some factors to consider are wheel/tire size and suspension upgrades on your car.  With a smaller wheel and bigger wheels/tires, slow speed steering can be a bitch in parking lots. Who needs to go to the gym when you have "Popeye" arms driving your 02.  The above linked thread is full of steering wheel eye candy that will give you some ideas.   

G-Man

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

I have the same360. I dont like the looks at all.  Looks too small and chunky.  That said, it is actually easier to urn than with the stock wheel.  My sense is, the wheel has more girth than the stock wheel so I get better grip and get yer leverage.  If you go to to. Bigger  wheel I’d love to see a Pic as I am considering get the lqtger diameter.  The wheel is skinner though so might be harder to turn.  

Her is my current set up. 

98C9A0A9-FED9-4AF4-855D-F2B3283CC89B.jpeg

Dan Bridges https://www.mcbdlaw.com/danbridges

72C672F5-4936-4D47-8D38-51052FE96876.jpeg.872fc2ca9a69951ae67c5fef264e9fad.jpeg

Past Treasurer and Governor Washington State Bar Association

380mm + seems to be the sweet spot. 

A pet hate of mine is when the indicator / wiper stalks project out way beyond the diameter of the wheel. If I absolutely had to run a smaller wheel then I would need to alter the stalks to be shorter (somehow). 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I have a 360mm Nardi.  When I first bought it I thought it was too small, but I mounted it anyway.  Now that I've had it for a while, I like driving with it.  It's a very comfortable size.  I have 195-15s, so I do have to put a good bit of force to turn the wheel when moving slowly.  If I did it over, I'd probably go with the 390.

Tim Dennison

'72 BMW 2002 tii - Malaga,  '02 BMW Z3 Coupe Sterling Gray,  '09 BMW 650i - Carbon Black,  '15 BMW 228i Estoril Blue,  '19 BMW Z4 30 - San Francisco Red

I have both. I started with the 390 on 195 tires. When i refreshed the suspension not surprisingly steering effort was easier. Then I went to the 360 and it was more effort when parking. Recently refreshed my tires and moved down to 185s. Overall the car feels more responsive and the steering is (somewhat) lighter. 

Cosmetically, I think the 360 is too small, the 390 too large but I'm not buying another steering wheel (for now). 

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii