• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I use an ignition coil from an e30 M3?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

How different would it be from a Bosch Blue coil? My car already has Pertronix and I'm stocking spare parts to bring to races.

Or is it a totally different coil?

Guest Anonymous

Initial test could be a primary resistance check, if it is lower than the blue coil, you might fry your petronix because it will draw more current.

And for the secondary, if the resistance is higher, then you may get higher voltage at the plug, wich doensnt necesseray means that it is more powerfull at the end.

just a suggestion.

Pat Allen

Guest Anonymous

Check the internal resistance between +,- terminals. The bosch blue coil is designed with higher internal resistance so you won't have to use an external resistor.

The black E30 M3 coil is one built for an EFI equipped car.. and probably has low resistance. You can use it in a 2002 but you should use an external resistor. If you were running points in the car.... a coil with to low resistance can burn them easily, but since you're running pertronix I don't think it matters.

I use a non resistor coil with my Crane setup in my 02 with no problems.

WH