• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedal box letting in water

Hi guys,

I've just imported a LHD 1602 (1972) into the UK from Greece.  I decided to take out the carpet when I discovered it was damp and there is a hole beneath the point where the pedals hinge.  Now would I be right in assuming that there is normally some sort of cover to stop the ingress of water?  

Fortunately the floor and front bulkhead remain solid, although I have had to bin the carpet, but I want to be sure I have stopped any water getting in before I fit a new carpet set.

Please can anyone give me a breakdown of what's involved and what I need to do to sort this problem once and for all?

Thanks in advance, Mark

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

There are two holes at the back of the box. I assume they are for servicing the pedals or adjusting them from under the car. 

When I rebuilt my box I did two things:

1) I put weatherstripping around the outline of the box before I attached it to the car to limit any water intrusion from the attachment perimeter.

2) Used aluminum tape to close up the service holes. If I need to get in there, I can just punch through the tape.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

If I'm viewing your picture correctly, I can see ground directly below the pedal pivot shaft.  That's not a factory hole; it's rust.  

The proper way is to remove the pedal box and either replace with an unrusted one or weld in a patch. 

The quick and dirty (and much easier) way is to first clean out all that dirt and crud from inside the pedal box.  Then get some POR 15 (or the UK equivalent) in paste form, clean the area well and back to sound metal, and prepare a patch from fiberglass window screen (don't laugh--this works!).  From underneath the car, butter the edge of the hole with the POR 15 paste, then stick the fiberglass screen in place by pressing into the paste (wear rubber gloves).  Once the paste has dried, cover the remaining screen with more paste, making sure not to leave any pinholes.  Let that dry and if you can reach in around the pedal shaft, put more paste on the inside.  Let it all dry and give both sides a quick coat of paint.  I've used the POR paste/fiberglass screen repair very successfully in wet and salty areas on my cars, and it hasn't come off yet.  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks guys.  I've just been looking at the diagrams on RealOEM and managed to deduce that the hole was from rust.  As it's a car I intend keeping I plan on repairing it properly. 

I intend removing the pedals so that I can clean all that crud and sand out, so I may as well weld up the pedal box.

I also want to get a new gas pedal. Are they hard to source?  I've seen a copy one on eBay but I imagine the quality isn't great?

Thanks again for the help guys. 

That will be an MOT failure due to its proximity to the pedal pivots. Beat option is to post a ‘Want to Buy’ on here for a good replacement complete pedal box in the Parts for Sale board. You can then clean, paint and rebuild it fully (even adding an aftermarket bearing set) before swapping it out as a unit. 

Alternately, you can weld yours up and rebuild in the same way, it just means your car may be off the road longer. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Cars over 40 years are now MOT exempt, although I take your point.  I've been offered a replacement by the chap who sold me the car so intend to refurbish as you suggest.  Is the information re the bearing set available on here?

Be certain that the moisture you see/feel/smell is actually water and not hydraulic fluid which leaks in from a dead clutch master cylinder.  It is quite common to find fluid in there if the master is bad.

Did it have a rubber cover?  If not some of that debris may have come from inside the car.  My original rubber pad.

1669813351_rubbercover1.jpg.f19140fa24bdaef19a6352374b17b574.jpg

Parts are readily available from BMW, Walloth & Nesch, etc., including the gas pedal AFAIK. There may also be GB suppliers. Example:

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/fusshebelwerk/bmw-1502-2002-turbo.html

Removing the pedal box and restoring it is very rewarding.  You get to learn the workings of the hydraulic and mechanical components.  You can even paint it to match the original grey used by BMW.

964924129_PedalBoxPainted1.thumb.jpg.bf5400050b544ccfd347b3e123cf7c2a.jpg

PlastiKoteCanPic.jpg.863d1050bddd1f8beb5ae582db246a46.jpg

I believe (some will disagree) that you should buy the closed-cell foam cover for the box.  It deadens sound and resists moisture penetrating the box. The original cover has a bad rep as fluid destroys the foam and creates a sponge to hold water, resulting in premature rusting.  The new cover appears to have a tougher skin and if it's kept clean it lasts for years.  Mine is a prime example:

2141193965_Pedalsbeforeandaftercopy.jpg.4f40e60758a139f117f3531ef8217faf.jpg1320810627_Pedalboxbeforeandaftercopy.thumb.jpg.780eb7a2e83f806507f48e497618664b.jpg

If you do buy the cover, install it on the box BEFORE installing the box on the car.  It is very hard to glue the cover on because of the proximity of the frame rail.  Marine adhesive is excellent.

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 2

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Many thanks guys.  The pictures confirmed what I need to do and although I'm a little disappointed that I have to do all this so soon after getting the car, things could be worse.

I think I'm going to start a blog about my car as I would like to do some other things, such as protect the floor from rusting in the future and it's always easier having had advice from people that have done these tasks before. Anyway, thanks again.  Mark

• Like 2

Jaymic up in Norwich is a good in-country supplier for you also.

Fay runs the show these days and her Dad Mike is a very long term ‘02 guy and had written an excellent restoration guide.

I’ve even called them from Oz [where I am] for a chat and advice when I first acquired mine years ago. Very helpful people.

But Walloth & Nesch in Germany, Pelican Parts from across the water [the big water] from you, etc. are all good to deal with.