Dudeland

Show and Tell . ITB’s please.

109 posts / 3924 viewsLast Reply

1 hour ago, jimk said:

I installed one in 2005.  Kit throttle cable is wimpy, direct connect to the throttle arm at the firewall is twitchy for a daily.  Tossed the one supplied and installed an auto trans cable, shelf selected for length, a bit smoother.

Air filter on rear two will bump the brake booster on hard decel.

I radiused the air throats that had none.

Not a part of the kit but a heater water return tube is needed.

Drove it to Eureka Springs from Denver, enough noise that I changed out the ITBs.

Revised Throttle Cable 051104.JPG

Contoured Air Inlets 5.jpg

Contoured Air Inlets 6.jpg

I have had the same experience with a similar cable linkage,  I replaced it with a heim jointed rod to a simple but effective lever style linkage to my TBI.   I haven't had time to pretty it up yet :) 

IMG_2897.thumb.JPG.8d5937f6a1822d504184d97a92cc1a0a.JPGIMG_2898.thumb.JPG.0a6db13deb675a06ac03ced7417f3dbc.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimk said:

Drove it to Eureka Springs from Denver, enough noise that I changed out the ITBs.

You're running ITBs now though...  Albeit through an airbox...

On 5/27/2019 at 5:41 PM, 2002Scoob said:

Come with me... Lets explore the electric future :)

300+hp/tq. available from zero, programmed via laptop, so infinitely update-able, you can count the moving parts on both hands, therefore reliable and coddle-free... But.... My estimates at the moment are running around 7-10 on the low end, 15-20k on the high end.

Very interested in the electric future - who/what are you watching for inspiration? Have you found any kits that help convert a 2002 from ICE to electric?

M

19 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Why does your manifold not share port between the intakes like this DCOE M10 Manifold? Is there a reason why?

That looks weird to me; which manifold is that exactly?  Normally one would NOT want any cross-flow between cylinders on an independent runner setup; the main goal with individual intake runners is to set up a resonance of the intake charge against the back of the valve, hence the 'optimal' design generally being as straight a shot as possible from the valve through the intake port through the manifold through the throttle plate and out the stack, tuned to the right length such that the resonance matches the target engine speed.  Sure some small holes to get a vacuum signal should be OK, but a BIG hole like that looks like it would basically let pressure equalize between adjacent cylinders and totally F-up the Helmholz resonance that we're trying to achieve in the first place. . .

20 minutes ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

That looks weird to me; which manifold is that exactly?  Normally one would NOT want any cross-flow between cylinders on an independent runner setup; the main goal with individual intake runners is to set up a resonance of the intake charge against the back of the valve, hence the 'optimal' design generally being as straight a shot as possible from the valve through the intake port through the manifold through the throttle plate and out the stack, tuned to the right length such that the resonance matches the target engine speed.  Sure some small holes to get a vacuum signal should be OK, but a BIG hole like that looks like it would basically let pressure equalize between adjacent cylinders and totally F-up the Helmholz resonance that we're trying to achieve in the first place. . .

See this thread for discussion:

• Thanks 1

Thanks @revolve40, I see now the crossover holes are indeed quite small, not that full diameter I first thought:

9031500d42579217a3b2f2c7264526b6.jpg

But while I get how that might help some with idle, I'm still not clear if/how this affects intake charge harmonics up in the more interesting rev bands. . .

While we are talking manifolds,  What are the advantages of "soft mounts"? for DCOE's.  I imagine that it would stop the aeration of fuel under heavy vibration. 

(edited)
55 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

While we are talking manifolds,  What are the advantages of "soft mounts"? for DCOE's.  I imagine that it would stop the aeration of fuel under heavy vibration. 

I always thought the soft mounts transmit less vibration than a hard mount - they let the Webers move inverse of engine movement which I would think dampens vibration. Kind of like a rubber bushing vs. solid bushing. Or am I misunderstanding?

Edited by revolve40

24 minutes ago, revolve40 said:

I always thought the soft mounts transmit less vibration than a hard mount - they let the Webers move inverse of engine movement which I would think dampens vibration. Kind of like a rubber bushing vs. solid bushing. Or am I misunderstanding?

Sorry, yes.  I am not clear before my coffee. I agree that what I had thought is that the work like shock absorbers.   Just wondering if there is an advantage in using these to mount something like the Jenveys

Got it. I would think no advantage since the ITB doesn’t have mechanical internals delivering the fuel like a DCOE. 

50 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

Sorry, yes.  I am not clear before my coffee. I agree that what I had thought is that the work like shock absorbers.   Just wondering if there is an advantage in using these to mount something like the Jenveys

There's no fuel bowl to agitate, but maybe it would help with the sensors or the TPS setting, if it's adjustable, if some of the vibrations aren't transferred to the ITBs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xr4tic said:

but maybe it would help with the sensors or the TPS setting

Pretty much this; what you want to avoid is any throttle actuation that happens from the engine bouncing around.  Good throttle linkage does most of this, but further isolating the throttles plates from the engine vibrations with soft mounts gives you even a little bit more.

Pretty much this; what you want to avoid is any throttle actuation that happens from the engine bouncing around.  Good throttle linkage does most of this, but further isolating the throttles plates from the engine vibrations with soft mounts gives you even a little bit more.

Here is the challenge with that, on the I.E manifold the linkage is anchored to the manifold. Correct me if I am wrong, but the soft mounts go between the carb and manifold, not the manifold and head. So putting in the soft mounts would induce more flex in the linkage between the Jenvys and the linkage no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)
On 5/31/2019 at 3:58 AM, man_mark_7 said:

Very interested in the electric future - who/what are you watching for inspiration? Have you found any kits that help convert a 2002 from ICE to electric?

M

Sorry, Original Poster for EV Spamming your thread. 

Here's a great start to get thinking. I love what EV West is up to, and you'll notice a pair of 2002's in the background.

Part of me is hoping they come out with a kit that bolts up to the trans with an adapter plate, to keep me from going the direction i REALLY wanna go but definitely shouldn't. 

The direction i REALLY wanna go is basically hogging out the entire rear end, having someone weld up rear tube-chassis, and bolt in a dual motor Tesla subframe assembly. 

-J

Who really misses driving a car fast enough to scare him. 

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Like 1

318 system with manifold and megasquirt doesn't seem to get you much, unless you turbo it,  then you are 5-7K plus plus to get the internals not to explode.

How much HP are you seeking? Stock engine with a small turbo and arp studs can get you enough power on moderate boost without having to touch internals.