• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single Centre Windscreen wiper?

2002ftw

Hello folks, attached for your pleasure is a lovely 2002 I saw on the internet.. one thing I noticed (wings and mirrors aside) was the single windscreen wiper..

Assuming the owner is not already on here :) can anybody hazard a guess at what was done here? I get the impression thats a pretty modern upgrade.

Cheers

Capture.JPG

Edited by 2002ftw

VW did it on production Sciroccos in the late 70s early 80s as I recall. I mimic’d the linkages one of my ‘89 GLIs back in the day. I got it near 180* swept area. Too far and you had to worry about over centering the wiper (if that makes any sense). It worked ok, took a bit to get used to the unswept area on the windshield even with a 22” blade. Mercs has mono wipers for a while too (90s?). They operated in a “W” pattern. That seemed much more robust that the single arm VW design. Get rid of the heater box and you could likely adapt any linkage setup you’d care to. 

3 hours ago, VWJake said:

VW did it on production Sciroccos in the late 70s early 80s as I recall. I mimic’d the linkages one of my ‘89 GLIs back in the day. I got it near 180* swept area. Too far and you had to worry about over centering the wiper (if that makes any sense). It worked ok, took a bit to get used to the unswept area on the windshield even with a 22” blade. Mercs has mono wipers for a while too (90s?). They operated in a “W” pattern. That seemed much more robust that the single arm VW design. Get rid of the heater box and you could likely adapt any linkage setup you’d care to. 

The earliest Sciroccos had two wipers, then from '76 they had one, all the way through then end of the first series in '81. When the body style changed in '82 they retained the single wiper through '83, and in '84 they went back to two through the end of production.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

The earliest Sciroccos had two wipers, then from '76 they had one, all the way through then end of the first series in '81. When the body style changed in '82 they retained the single wiper through '83, and in '84 they went back to two through the end of production.

It's been a while since I was into watercooleds, occasionally I catch myself looking for another Mk2 Coupe to tinker with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NickVyse said:

can't see how it's an "upgrade" as it's going to do a shit job of clearing rain across the whole screen.

Is it something you have seen done in the flesh before yourself? We get a lot of rain where i live.

As you've picked a RHD car, I'll assume you have one to. So, you'll know how bad the wiper on that side of the car is as the system was designed for LHD. Even with the aerofoil on, the wiper end/top (~3") lifts off the screen. That single wiper will (IMO) do nothing to improve cleaning the screen for a RHD car, and will possibly make it worse for your passenger.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

1 hour ago, 02Les said:

As you've picked a RHD car, I'll assume you have one to. So, you'll know how bad the wiper on that side of the car is as the system was designed for LHD. Even with the aerofoil on, the wiper end/top (~3") lifts off the screen. That single wiper will (IMO) do nothing to improve cleaning the screen for a RHD car, and will possibly make it worse for your passenger.

Yes indeed it is RHD. The wiper in the picture above does not appear original though so was wondering if there was a better configuration/upgrade.

1 hour ago, tzei said:

I use Citroen BX wiper motor. It has about 142 deg sweep angle. Works good enough for a race car. Integrated washer nozzle and light weight. 

Would you recommend it for a daily driver?