• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction Dash Help on the Way!

Lengrep

• 2 months later...
On 5/22/2019 at 4:17 AM, Brandon said:

Keeping in mind that BMW Classic (formally Mobile Tradition) reproduced enough 2002 parts at one point to build a complete Inka Tii back around ten years or so ago now.

That was a scam. 

Err, 'PR exercise to attract the beardy hipsters to buy a new BMW'

The car was 85% used parts, by weight.  And even then, many of  the 

'mobile tradition' parts were 3rd party, with a BMW parts sticker and appropriate markup added.

t

not unduly impressed by BMW's 'historic' efforts, then or now.

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 4

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

That was a scam.  The car was 85% used parts.

t

+1

Agreed.  The factory happened to have two complete new '02 shells sitting around. These were not available for sale to the public. One of these two shells was used as a starting point for the Mobile Tradition tii -- a damned good starting point, I'd say. The other one?  Well... I'm guessing that it found a good home, as well. I'm fairly confident that BMW never planned to offer '02 shells to the public, before or after building their "new" 1972 tii.

So, as Toby said, you could never stop at your local BMW dealer and order "one '72 tii" worth of parts....

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

23 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I'm fairly confident that BMW never planned to offer '02 shells to the public

Which doesn't mean you couldn't try.  Which I did in the eighties.  On one daily parts order form to the Des Moines dealership I slipped in the part number for a uni-body.  My diligent parts rep searched the globe for the part--to no avail of course.  When he finally looked up what the part number was for,  he wasn't amused.

Unibody Pricing.png

Bauer Unibody Part Numbers.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Anyone notice how filthy the engine compartment looks now on that BMW Classic tii?! Apparently they don’t have any fresh valve cover gaskets in stock...????

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

Well if Radar O'Reilly can send a Jeep Home one piece at a time from Korea on Mash. 

Why not a "Walloth and Nesch"  2002?....?

Just jealous: There are enough companies with enough new manufactured old parts where you can build your own classic Mustang, Camaro, GTO etc...

Just not enough BMW 2002's sold to create the same demand/market  for us real cool people....

This is why we are cool......and they are not.....

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

• 6 months later...

Update: we were able to get our hands on the very first reproduction 02 2 piece dash out of the oven. It is very rough and needs adjustments to the mold. 

the seat belt warning indicator has been covered. On the back side, there is a template for those who wish to cut it and use the seat belt warning. 

625F0F26-1F46-49C4-973F-649548685A56.jpeg

7BFCE457-55F6-4A63-8E87-EB22D1187139.jpeg

B880563B-7A64-4024-ADB2-9C8227223965.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dudeland said:

All I need to know is “When?”

We are aiming for the first one to complete by the end of April

2 hours ago, man_mark_7 said:

I am all ears now that I have an attic with three randomly cracked dashes I was going to get around to figuring out how to repair "some day".

We don't repair dashes. We make exact replica of the original dash. 

14 minutes ago, Mario Falfan said:

So how much will the dash cost?

TBD, we haven't got the final bill on the dash yet. Our goal is to make it affordable unlike the competition out there. 

• Like 2