Lengrep

Reproduction Dash Help on the Way!

24 posts / 1872 viewsLast Reply

Very encouraging.  I would think that with the instrument binnacles on the Z Dash, it is a more difficult mold to process than the '02 Dash.

• Like 1

Vintage Dash responded to me the other day.  Looks like their 2002 dashes will not be ready until the new year.  They are working on one other product now.  Assume it is a Datsun item which is their bread and butter.

• Thanks 1

(edited)
On 5/22/2019 at 4:17 AM, Brandon said:

Keeping in mind that BMW Classic (formally Mobile Tradition) reproduced enough 2002 parts at one point to build a complete Inka Tii back around ten years or so ago now.

That was a scam. 

Err, 'PR exercise to attract the beardy hipsters to buy a new BMW'

The car was 85% used parts, by weight.  And even then, many of  the 

'mobile tradition' parts were 3rd party, with a BMW parts sticker and appropriate markup added.

t

not unduly impressed by BMW's 'historic' efforts, then or now.

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 3

(edited)
1 hour ago, TobyB said:

That was a scam.  The car was 85% used parts.

t

+1

Agreed.  The factory happened to have two complete new '02 shells sitting around. These were not available for sale to the public. One of these two shells was used as a starting point for the Mobile Tradition tii -- a damned good starting point, I'd say. The other one?  Well... I'm guessing that it found a good home, as well. I'm fairly confident that BMW never planned to offer '02 shells to the public, before or after building their "new" 1972 tii.

So, as Toby said, you could never stop at your local BMW dealer and order "one '72 tii" worth of parts....

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I'm fairly confident that BMW never planned to offer '02 shells to the public

Which doesn't mean you couldn't try.  Which I did in the eighties.  On one daily parts order form to the Des Moines dealership I slipped in the part number for a uni-body.  My diligent parts rep searched the globe for the part--to no avail of course.  When he finally looked up what the part number was for,  he wasn't amused.

Unibody Pricing.png

Bauer Unibody Part Numbers.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anyone notice how filthy the engine compartment looks now on that BMW Classic tii?! Apparently they don’t have any fresh valve cover gaskets in stock...😂😩🇩🇪

Well if Radar O'Reilly can send a Jeep Home one piece at a time from Korea on Mash. 

Why not a "Walloth and Nesch"  2002?....😁

Just jealous: There are enough companies with enough new manufactured old parts where you can build your own classic Mustang, Camaro, GTO etc...

Just not enough BMW 2002's sold to create the same demand/market  for us real cool people....

This is why we are cool......and they are not.....

My real concern is the availability for hoods and front pieces for accident repairs.  The silver tii at the salvage auction on the forum last week was very fixable.