• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction Dash Help on the Way!

Lengrep

A well regarded outfit called Vintage Dashes has started work on repro dashes and interior panels for our 2002’s! North Bay Bavarian loaned them original one and two piece dashes, along with NLA interior panels. 

They currently manufacture a replacement dash for Datsun 240Z which has been very well received. $799. 

Email address is VintageDashes@gmail.com. Best way to see what they are up to is on Instagram. Username is @vintagedashes. 

Kinda shames BMW Classic...

Edited by Lengrep
Add Instagram name
  • Like 4

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

Have talked to those guys at Laguna Seca Festorics since either '16 or '17 about '02 dashes. Fingers still crossed.

BMW Classic Group needs to do so much more than make a good calendar.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

38 minutes ago, adawil2002 said:

Have talked to those guys at Laguna Seca Festorics since either '16 or '17 about '02 dashes. Fingers still crossed.

A good calendar and social media feeds. Even the BMW Classic museum and workshops are open only Saturdays with a ticket purchased in advance at BMW Weld. Sigh. 

The good news for the dashes is that their business appears to have been brisk for Z-cars, and they’ve finally started work on the ‘02 products. 

1 hour ago, adawil2002 said:

Keeping in mind that BMW Classic (formally Mobile Tradition) reproduced enough 2002 parts at one point to build a complete Inka Tii back around ten years or so ago now.

• Like 1

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Just now, Brandon said:

Keeping in mind that BMW Classic (formally Mobile Tradition) reproduced enough 2002 parts at one point to build a complete Inka Tii back around ten years or so ago now.

Yes and what they didn't have they purchased, like the the square light California car and converted it to a round tail and nose panel. While what they did was done 'at the factory' not all the parts were off the shelf, as I recall.

Wish BMW supported the cars we love the way Mercedes & pre-BMW Rolls Royce do or did. Any part remanufactured according to the original drawings. Is it expensive? Prohibitively so.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

42 minutes ago, adawil2002 said:

Yes and what they didn't have they purchased, like the the square light California car and converted it to a round tail and nose panel. While what they did was done 'at the factory' not all the parts were off the shelf, as I recall.

Wish BMW supported the cars we love the way Mercedes & pre-BMW Rolls Royce do or did. Any part remanufactured according to the original drawings. Is it expensive? Prohibitively so.

Probably so. Small lot production without the original tooling is very expensive. Although many metal components could be CNC machined for a reasonable cost. 

That tii was built with a lot of NOS parts as well.  I saw a recent under the hood shot of an oily valve cover...glad it’s being driven, but it should be a little embarrassing!

The Mobile Tradition one piece dashes went NLA right as I tried to order one for my ‘73 tii...five years ago. About $1800 then. Haven’t heard whether they were done well or not. I bought a complete set of tobacco/black interior panels then. Quite nice.  Also a pair of black door panels for my Turbo. Haven’t installed those. 

Greg

4 hours ago, Lengrep said:

Also a pair of black door panels for my Turbo. Haven’t installed those. 

With out the door panels this Turbo is relatively worthless, as a favor to you as a Forum member I'll trade you my Tii that DOES have those panels installed.

• Haha 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

IMO, A well made reproduction could easily fetch $800.00 or $900.00, I have seen several leather recovered ones and people pay an ungodly amount for them.

Not sure WHY people get them recovered in leather, here in Texas that dash will become a weathered saddle bag real FAST!

2 hours ago, chargin said:

With out the door panels this Turbo is relatively worthless, as a favor to you as a Forum member I'll trade you my Tii that DOES have those panels installed.

Ha! I just have the wrong panels installed. Or so the experts say. Switching to the “correct” chrome trim configuration. 

I love my Turbo, but honestly, the tii is more fun in the mountains. But the sound and road feel of the Turbo is pretty special on open road or the track...

To be honest I am holding out for the result here. My dash is smoked, not sure it is even restoreable. Plan b is saving for the “unholy” amount on a recovered dash or a very good used sample/ new nos unicorn. As pulling the dash is the last thing I want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002