flagoworld

Please tell me this is not normal [windshield wipers]

17 posts / 407 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

This is too slow, right? Theres not really any resistance in the wiper assembly so im thinking my motor is just old and tired...

Edited by flagoworld

I think you just need more coffee!

I would first check the ground that comes out of the wiper motor assembly.  Should be screwed into the firewall nearby.  If that isn't your problem it might be time to refresh the motor itself.

Consider cleaning and re-greasing the gear and gear post; and the bushings for the motor if you can get to them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, albatcha said:

Check the shiny nuts under the wiper arm, if they are over tightened that will make the wipers move too slowly.

picture borrowed from this thread https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/153894-wiper-repairs/post-9202-0-15256800-1399730793.jpg

With the motor out the assembly moves very freely.

3 minutes ago, halboyles said:

I think you just need more coffee!

I would first check the ground that comes out of the wiper motor assembly.  Should be screwed into the firewall nearby.  If that isn't your problem it might be time to refresh the motor itself.

I will double check the ground.

1 minute ago, Einspritz said:

Consider cleaning and re-greasing the gear and gear post; and the bushings for the motor if you can get to them.

I already did that.

I learned recently that a common way for motors like this to age and get weaker is the windings fail and build up resistance UNDER LOAD (cannot be detected with an ohm meter). I am leaning toward that but will check the grounds first.

Glad to hear this is not how anemic these are supposed to be. Haha. I wanted to make sure because in searching I found references to how slow the wipers are.

(edited)

My ‘76’s wipers are slow, especially when I first start them up. I generally don’t take the car outside in the rain, so they go through long periods of non-use. But after they’ve been operating a while, they appear to pick up speed. I’ve long assumed the old grease in the gearbox was the issue, but — to be absolutely honest — I’ve never bothered to open up the gearbox. 😯

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

Mine doesn’t ground on the firewall but appears to ground over on the relay bracket... Hard to tell exactly but thats what it looks like...

91E97E38-5E5B-499D-ABDF-77782D7F4EC1.jpeg

46C24FC6-6F05-4547-80CF-C14982152B27.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Conserv said:

My ‘76’s are slow, especially when I first start them up. I generally don’t take the car outside in the rain, so they go through long periods of non-use. But after they’ve been operating a while, they appear to pick up speed.

My 73 does the same thing.  On my fixit list for the summer--re-grease everything that moves in the wiper assembly.  

Another thing--these wiper assemblies were meant for smaller wiper blades--originally 13" until the Feds decided more windshield needed to be cleared, so sometime in 1969 or early '70 they started fitting 15" blades.  My '69 with the smaller blades has much faster wiper action than my '73 with 15" blades, so that is kind of an endemic problem with the later cars.  

mike

• Like 4

Yup.

That's slow.

Try new brushes in the motor, and agreed,

a clean and re- grease with lightweight grease.

t

is also slow.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Conserv said:

My ‘76’s wipers are slow, especially when I first start them up. I generally don’t take the car outside in the rain, so they go through long periods of non-use. But after they’ve been operating a while, they appear to pick up speed. I’ve long assumed the old grease in the gearbox was the issue, but — to be absolutely honest — I’ve never bothered to open up the gearbox. 😯

This is exactly how my wiper motor behaves on my 75. It very rarely gets used unless I bump it on accident. Then it's running on a dry windshield that doesn't help anything. Once it gets going it works great. It's never been bad enough for me to want to start tearing things apart. The wiper motor has been a long standing complaint by many 02 enthusiasts. Quadruple coats of RainX or comparable product are highly recommended. I've never really looked into what it takes to remove the entire assembly and work on the motor. From just looking at it all I have simply said to myself, Nah, not worth the effort. I'll do it some other day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thats fast! Mine initial sweep is much slooooowwwer but then it gets going. Redone linkage system so i think it's motor itself that needs attention.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jbaumshelter said:

This is exactly how my wiper motor behaves on my 75. It very rarely gets used unless I bump it on accident. Then it's running on a dry windshield that doesn't help anything. Once it gets going it works great. It's never been bad enough for me to want to start tearing things apart. The wiper motor has been a long standing complaint by many 02 enthusiasts. Quadruple coats of RainX or comparable product are highly recommended. I've never really looked into what it takes to remove the entire assembly and work on the motor. From just looking at it all I have simply said to myself, Nah, not worth the effort. I'll do it some other day. 

It only takes a few minutes to remove the motor and a few more to disassemble it.

I believe its a little trickier to get the arm assembly out but i havent tried that.

Agreed.  My initial movement is very slow but picks up speed quickly on the new '76.  On my '72, no such issue.

49 minutes ago, flagoworld said:

It only takes a few minutes to remove the motor and a few more to disassemble it.

I believe its a little trickier to get the arm assembly out but i havent tried that.

That's really good to know. I'm going to put this on my winter solstice list. 

I am with Jbaumshelter.

Aquapel (no I don't work for the company). With that stuff on your windshield, it doesn't matter how slow your wipers are. Very hyrdrophobic and very long lasting. Here in the Pacific Northwest (where it was still bloody raining until today) it works the best for me. (also works extremely well when coming up on a semi that is spraying mist-still can see very easily). Also  I have been driving in pretty decent rain and at highway speeds, never really needed to turn on my wipers.  

Just a warning, for some, it may cause a bit of wiper "shutter" as they move across your windshield. 

Aquapel is on all my vehicles, and it lasts a very long time. Make sure when applying it you wipe it off before it dries. It can be a PITA to remove if it does. 

Cheers!