al2002tnz

2002 Turbo Washer Bottle

7 posts / 350 viewsLast Reply

Can someone please tell me if the washer fluid bottle in the 2002 Turbo was square or round style from factory ?

(edited)

The square reservoirs that BMW sells now as replacement parts were not original to any ‘02’s. I suspect it was “drafted” from a later model.

And the current OEM cap for the square reservoir is too large for the original round reservoirs....

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

(edited)
On 5/23/2019 at 6:11 PM, al2002tnz said:

Thanks, can the round one’s still be sourced ?

There are lots of used round reservoirs around.  If they are in good condition, and complete with cap, they can be relatively expensive: $40 to $100. Many, however, have leaks: the dried out plastic often cracks where the slide mount meets the main body. Yellowing due to age can be somewhat mitigated by soaking in Softscrub with Bleach. Don’t expect miracles.

These have never been particularly durable. I carefully applied clear epoxy from inside the reservoir to address a slow leak on my ‘76’s “original” reservoir. Soaked the tank in Softscrub with Bleach for two weeks. I was very proud of it — I’m the car’s original owner.  Months later I was browsing through some of my old receipts and noticed a “reservoir” being replaced. I checked the part number and, indeed, it was the reservoir. 😯  Looked some more and found another: by 1978, my ‘76 was on its third reservoir. 🙁 I lost interest and figure I’ve fastidiously restored, at minimum, the third reservoir! 😋

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Thanks Steve, based in this maybe I should stick with the square type.

There are aftermarket/replica round ones available new. They just don’t have VDO stamped in them like the originals. They only crack when kept full of water... From time to time I do see NOS round ones available, but they are date coded and the majority of the NOS ones I’ve seen are from 1981, likely the last year they were produced.

http://www.rogerstii.com/bmw-2002-round-windshield-washer-fluid-reservoir/

There are new rectangular ones available from BMW that many vendors sell. Those have VDO stamped in them. This vendor also sells an aftermarket choice which does not.

http://www.rogerstii.com/bmw-2002-e9-windshield-washer-fluid-reservoir/